Coywolf in progress

lol, well the unfortunate voice of experience here for drilling already hardened tangs. Yes I've drilled either the wrong size hole or changed my mind. The only way I've gotten through is with a masonry bit. I had to buy several of the "cheapy" masonry bits and just drill. The bits are scrap metal afterwards but you have a hole.

I think the wolf pin looks fine btw.

lol, well the unfortunate voice of experience here for drilling already hardened tangs. Yes I've drilled either the wrong size hole or changed my mind. The only way I've gotten through is with a masonry bit. I had to buy several of the "cheapy" masonry bits and just drill. The bits are scrap metal afterwards but you have a hole.

I think the wolf pin looks fine btw.

haha. I can see that with the masonry bit. Just muscle through it, I bet lots of noise and smoke and praying.

The blade looks great, I would go with the original plan. lanyard hole, wolf pin. I'd use a dark wood though.
I've never used concrete bits for drilling steel but have heard it works, I know this...they can be resharpened on a belt grinder,
but then again that "can o worms" is sitting right in front of you on your bench, it's up to you if you want to open it. :confused:

The blade looks great, I would go with the original plan. lanyard hole, wolf pin. I'd use a dark wood though.
I've never used concrete bits for drilling steel but have heard it works, I know this...they can be resharpened on a belt grinder,
but then again that "can o worms" is sitting right in front of you on your bench, it's up to you if you want to open it. :confused:

Thanks , yes I have some nice dark wood. I think it’s mahogany, maybe I’ll post tomorrow. I don’t remember where I got it and what it is.

hey guys you can drill thru the hardened tang easily without softening........i drill holes thru hard power hacksaw blades and planer blades all the time...1/4.....5/16.....3/8......holes i use the most....take a standard carbide tip masonry bit and crisp up the cutting edges on a 36 grit ceramic belt...i use norton blaze.....it works better if you point the bit a steeper angle.....set the speed on your drill press up to real fast......set the point of the drill bit on to desired spot on tang and slowly apply pressure.....as the bit starts to cut apply more pressure....you watch the bit real close and if it starts to turn red lift it off the work for a few seconds and let it cool a bit.....you dont want to melt the silver solder holding the carbide in place.....repeat applying pressure and cooling as needed......usually only takes 2 or 3 times per hole....less than a minute....i have drilled 3/8 thick chipper blades this way ......they take a bit longer as the deeper hole requires more cooling time......be patient and your drill will last a long time.......if you are in a hurry it usually costs you a drill bit....

I made this thread a WIP. I’m calling this knife the Coywolf, a frequent hybrid animal in my area. Like the coywolf , this knife is a hybrid... maybe of a skinner and a Bowie. Lol. Anyway this is after a bath in acid and cider vinegar and light 1000 grit rub. There are same hazy spots I’m not happy with ,although most on the handle. I’m doing a video of it also and having fun with learning the editing process. 87F22B38-0A9D-4C3D-89ED-40415502A262.jpeg

Back