cpm-154 heat treat question

Ryan Minchew

I am building a slip joint for Mr. Hurst to engrave and gold inlay. Thoughts are to gold inlay the back spring. My question is can I build up the knife with the spring that has already been heat treated, then have the spring annealed so that Mr. Hurst can engrave it, then have it retreated without any problems? I'd like ya'lls thoughts on this if you have any. THanks Ryan

short answer is probably no. cpm154 critical temp is 1900 to 1950F. Gold melts at 1950F.
An oven can be off by 50F just heating to temp or normal cycling.

Send it heat treated. It(the spring) should be about 45rc when heat treated That shouldn't be too hard. But you may want to ask him about this. You cant re heat treat a spring with Gold inlay because the gold will run out. Because you heat treat at or around 1900* and gold melts at around 1900* but the hold time will screw it up. Im sure he has done treated parts before, Gun Barrels and Cylinders and such.

Thanks for the help Boss. I guess we will let you stick around :p

Rusty my next thought was actually sending him an extra heat treated spring to try on to see if it would be too hard. Thanks!

My opinion is that he can cut the bevels to lay the gold in then you can heat treat it and then have him lay the gold in the cuts. I would ask Mr. Hurst how he would want it.

Hey Mr. Miller! We talked about it earlier and I didn't think about the high temp being above 1900 when he mentioned gold's melting point. That brings up the question can cpm154 be heat treated, annealed, then heat treated again? In order to mock up the knife I need it to be springy because it changes just a little with tension.

Talked to Mr. Hurst and we decided against it for now. I'm not done with the knife I'm actually doing a WIP in the custom knife forum up top. Right or wrong it's the way I'm going it lol.

Jerry stopped by here Friday and I talked to him about it, he brought up a couple of things. I'll have to do a few things different on the next one, but definitley want to get one done on the spine.

Back