Craftsman 2x42 Grinder, Mods and Troubles

I've got the same grinder with essentially the same mods... all but the top wheel. I just use my old 4x36 for that. Plus I was concerened it would weaken it too much to cut the top half off (as I had already cut the bottom part off). While Im sorry to hear yours broke, I appreciate you telling your story so the rest of us can learn. Ive done 4 blades with mine so far, and none of them are (to me) worth heat treating and completing... but the 4th is MILES better than the first, and thats what matters.

That said, I've been plotting and saving and buying bits here and there, and will be upgrading to a GIB very soon :) It wasnt that bad, doing it piecemeal. Easier than saving money I think...

Solving the problems will be near impossible. I mean no disresept, but you're trying to use a machine that was designed for light duty woodworking. Its simply not intended or built to handle the rigors of grinding steel.

Most of us have been down the same road. I myself built my first couple of grinders.....burning up motors, and having many of the same issues you mentioned. Later I purchased a machine similar to yours.....again, with many of the same problems. After that, I went to a "cheaper" 2x72" grinder, and although the parts held up better, it was nearly impossible to come out with a decent ground blade. Finally I saved my money for almost 2 years..... and purchased my first "top end" grinder, a wilton square wheel, which at the time was considered one of the best available grinders for knife work. That was over 25 years ago, and that machine is still in service in my shop. I also have 2 other 2x72 machines, and from experience, I can say without reservation, that NOTHING will move your knifemaking forward faster and easier then a "good" grinder. Yes, it is expensive, but the up side is that you will likely use the machine EVERY day in the shop....even if you're not making knives, and.... the "top end" grinders hold their values so well, that if you ever decided to sell it, you will likely get nearly as much as you gave for it.

The moral of the story is this: By the time I got around to giving in and spending the money on one of the top end grinders, I had already spent enough, trying to make lesser machines work, that I could have purchased two "top end" grinders.
Your absolutely wrong. I used a cheap 1x30 for over a year and made over 40 knives, Not crap knives but awesome knives. I use a 2x42 and a 1x30 now and still putting out nice knives. Knifemaking is an art but not all knife makers are artists. I have made knives with a hack saw and files. If a person has any artistic ability you can make beautiful knives from almost anything. 2x72s are NOT a must in knife making...yes they are convenient and can save money on belts, but definitely not necessary. Knifemaking as an art is not about speed or mass production. When it gets to that point it has become a fn job.

DITTO tkroenlien. Ed's no longer on this forum but that doesn't mean his knowledge was wrong.. having seen and handled knives hes made, hes an artist.. We all had to start somewhere. We've all made knives with tools that weren't designed to make knives or were inadequate for the job. Lastly, LOL, if you made 40 knives on 1x 30 and a 2x42 in a year that sounds like a real Fn job. Work smarter not harder.

Your absolutely wrong. I used a cheap 1x30 for over a year and made over 40 knives, Not crap knives but awesome knives. I use a 2x42 and a 1x30 now and still putting out nice knives. Knifemaking is an art but not all knife makers are artists. I have made knives with a hack saw and files. If a person has any artistic ability you can make beautiful knives from almost anything. 2x72s are NOT a must in knife making...yes they are convenient and can save money on belts, but definitely not necessary. Knifemaking as an art is not about speed or mass production. When it gets to that point it has become a fn job.
Am I missing something here? Why pickup a 6 year old thread and trash a posters comments? Are you just looking for an argument?
BTW: rarely, if ever, did Ed Caffrey offer anything but sage advice. And, I agree with Ed on the merits of a 2x72 vs 1x30.

"....I can say without reservation, that NOTHING will move your knifemaking forward faster and easier than a "good" grinder."

I can attest to this....harbor freight 1 x 30....(gave it to a young maker after I bought a TW-90. Told the kid to start saving his shekels, though...he came and used my 2x72 a few times...then bought himself one...lol.)

There are indeed a lot of ways to make a knife....yet Ed's comment is entirely true...

Something I don't understand is if you made 40 awesome knives with a cheap 1x30, wouldn't something in the back of your head make you ask yourself
if you could make even more awesome knives with a 2x72 ? if your awesome knives claimed even $150.00 a piece that's $6000.00
you could get a full blown 2x72 for two grand or so and have four grand left. which leaves me to question if you've ever tried a 2x72 to see the difference.
knifemaking is in the art world, to different degrees to every maker, but as far as art goes your not going to find many if any "art knives" made on a 1x30 but you'll find lots made on a 2x72. their more than convenient and save money on belts. their purpose built, and not the same purpose a 1x30 is.
I believe what Ed was saying is if your ready to make the jump, do it and don't waste time and money on lesser equipment and if you've made 40 knives on a 1x30 in a year, what's stopping you? or are you truly happy with the machines you have?

See that's where we differ. I don't sell my knives I give them away. Yes, I get a donation here and there but I don't do it for the money. I do it because I love to create. I don't need a 2x72. I don't care about big and better tools. Most of the time I do most of the bevels with a file jig I made... Like i said I do it for the Art not the money. It gives me peace of mind. Yes, maybe someday I will build a 2x72 but its not a priority. As far as belts, I don't mind spending my money it's not an issue, we have a totally different way of thinking and that's Ok. I don't sell them because I don't need the money. I'm retired and do this for pure enjoyment and peace of mind nothing else money is not a factor. I respect your intent and way of thinking and I understand were your coming from but I do this for me not the money and to be able to GIVE to others.... Have a great day man! Peace.

See that's where we differ. I don't sell my knives I give them away. Yes, I get a donation here and there but I don't do it for the money. I do it because I love to create. I don't need a 2x72. I don't care about big and better tools. Most of the time I do most of the bevels with a file jig I made... Like i said I do it for the Art not the money. It gives me peace of mind. Yes, maybe someday I will build a 2x72 but its not a priority. As far as belts, I don't mind spending my money it's not an issue, we have a totally different way of thinking and that's Ok. I don't sell them because I don't need the money. I'm retired and do this for pure enjoyment and peace of mind nothing else money is not a factor. I respect your intent and way of thinking and I understand were your coming from but I do this for me not the money and to be able to GIVE to others.... Have a great day man! Peace.

I understand where your coming from, there's nothing wrong with making knives as a hobby and giving them to friends or others.
A 2x72 just makes the process a lot smoother with more possible precision and power in front of you.
as for money, I got into knifemaking with no intent to make money from it, but for me it was visiting my first Knifemakers guild show and
seeing others knives and the money they were worth. eventually my knives reached a point where I realized people were willing to part with their money for my knives, and the skill and quality involved in making them. I've given away a lot of knives over the years and still do sometimes.
the money from my knives goes to a lot of places, material to make them, machines, my new shop, heck...truck parts, guns, all kinds of stuff.

So although I would still make knives if nobody bought them....that extra income is a blessing.

Back