Crowbar steel

Gliden07

What kind of steel are Crowbars made from?? I need some punches and Chisels and thought the Hexagonal shafts would be great for this. Obviously I want them softer than my anvil too.

I believe this old thread might help. And as always, please don't shoot the messenger. :D

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/what-crow-bars-made-191834/

If you read beyond the first few rather hysterical posts you will see some real answers.

Thanks Sean I read this post, I figured it was gonna be a mixed bag. Was hoping for a "Well I don't know about XYZ brand but True Value were always made from BLAH, BLAH, BLAH". Lots of well informed people in here. I just don't want to make tools for my anvil and then damage the anvil with them because there harder then the anvil. Nice thing about the crow bars and Cats paws is I see them at yard sales and such all the time for CHEAP!! And since my Blacksmithing skills are not great it would be an economical source for steel to beat up and try some projects with.

Thanks Sean I read this post, I figured it was gonna be a mixed bag. Was hoping for a "Well I don't know about XYZ brand but True Value were always made from BLAH, BLAH, BLAH". Lots of well informed people in here. I just don't want to make tools for my anvil and then damage the anvil with them because there harder then the anvil. Nice thing about the crow bars and Cats paws is I see them at yard sales and such all the time for CHEAP!! And since my Blacksmithing skills are not great it would be an economical source for steel to beat up and try some projects with.
I have made many a punch from coil springs. Use the crow bar, temper it back and use a punch plate on your anvil you will be golden...

I have used crowbars for fullering tools, hot cut chisels, punches, and crowbars;). I'm sure S7 is better suited for these tools but they work good for me

Back