Cts xhp

Walt2

Does anyone here have any idea how CTS XHP would compare with S30V or S35VN on edge retention? Thanks for any info.

I have no experience with XHP, but from datasheets, it seems like an apples and oranges comparison. The XHP datasheet seems to suggest using it at about RHC62.5 which should bode well for edge retention. Beyond Cr, it doesn't have much significant for carbide formers.

S30 and S35VN both have a respectable component of Vanadium, which bodes well for edge retention based on carbides. S35VN has the additional bonus of Niobium for toughness which should suggest the potential for a thinner edge. These are suggested at RHC 58-61 - which should be a tad easier to sharpen.

I'd be more inclined to suspect a comparison to CPM154.

This is like trying to handicap a horse you've never seen run - and I was never good at that. For edge retention, I'd take S35VN to win - S30 to place - and XHP to show. :) Hoping to see someone chime in here with some real world experience

Oh yes - I'd also expect the XHP to be easier to polish.

Rob!

XHP is great steel, just hard to find. It has been described as a stainless version of D2. It works great and is real, real easy to heat treat and needs only one temper. It is similar to work and finish to that of CPM S35VN. It is nothing like S30V. I aim for Rc of 60. 62 is too hard. I think the edge retention is better that CPM 154.
-John

Back