Culinary Set in Pommele Koa

Discussion in 'Knife Dogs Main Forum' started by John Wilson, Nov 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Well-Known Member

Just a few poorly done cell phone pics of a set I just completed. I will take better pics, so please excuse the bad lighting and the dust spots.

This was one of those very pleasant surprises. A customer ordered a chef knife. I sent him some WIP pics as I usually do during the build. He was very excited and then added a slicer, then called again and added a petty / utility.

Steel is AEB-L. The 6 inch Chef and the 7 inch Slicer are .110 at the spine with full distal tapers. The 4 inch Petty / Utility is .070 at the spine, also tapered. All spines and heels are rounded.

The handles are Pommele Koa (also known as Blister Koa). This Koa doesn't have the bold curl people are used to seeing, but has a depth and a richness of colors that makes it one of my very favorite types of wood.

The 4 inch petty had a tiny bit of recurve because the customer wanted to use it as a paring knife. After looking at it a lot, I decided I didn't like it and I just now reground the edge to straighten it out.

Attached Files:

KenH, Johan Nel and Ty Adams like this.
  2. Cazador

Cazador KNIFE MAKER

That's a beautiful set, John! You're right about the Koa, the depth and richness of the colors are very nice.

John Wilson likes this.
  3. Rick Otts

Rick Otts Well-Known Member

Very nice John I really like that Koa looks great!

John Wilson likes this.
  4. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

THAT is an amazing set! As a guy that loves using kitchen knives I am coveting those!

VERY nice!

John Wilson likes this.
  5. Johan Nel

Johan Nel Well-Known Member

Oh John, one day when I'm all grown up, I would like to be able to make kitchen knifes as beautiful as yours...:)

John Wilson likes this.
  6. Gliden07

Gliden07 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!! I want to try a 6" Chefs. I' just not sure if I'll be able to do the taper.

7. AkWildman

AkWildman Well-Known Member

Nice,anyone would love to have that set ! Well Done !

John Wilson likes this.
  8. Von Gruff

Von Gruff Well-Known Member

The koa on that slicer is spectacular. It is not a wood I have access to but it certainly lifts the great presentation of those three beauties.

Smallshop and John Wilson like this.
  9. John Wilson

Thank you guys so much! Kitchen knives are passion and the main reason I got into knifemaking at all.

Smallshop likes this.
  10. John Wilson

The pictures really do not capture the Koa whatsoever. The wood looks different in every kind of lighting. In person, the colors and tones and luster remind the most of Tiger's Eye gemstone.

Smallshop likes this.
  11. John Wilson

Bah. The taper is the easy part. Think of it this way- the taper frees you from having to care about plunge lines.

Gliden07 likes this.
  12. Gliden07

Gliden07 Well-Known Member

I guess that would be true!! LOL!! On my list of to dos!

Smallshop likes this.
  13. bladegrinder

bladegrinder Well-Known Member

Beautiful John, I got a couple steak knives going now for a neibor up at my pace where I hunt, I have to admit I don't like flat grinding, I've always hollow ground my knives but with thin blades there's no other way, it just comes kind of awkward to me. it looks like you got it down though. great looking knives!

14. John Wilson

Thank you Steve! Funny you mention that flat grinding feels odd to you. I've only ever flat ground. I have been meaning to try some hollow grinds on hunters, but I don't know how to do it!

Ty Adams likes this.
  15. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

John I've been playing with hollow grinds. Once you figure out some of the differences in grinding technique it's easier then flat grinding. Once you have the bevel established you just follow the channel and pickup on the blade.

John Wilson likes this.
  16. John Wilson

That's good to know. I think I'm going to play around with it on the next hunter I make.

17. Justin Presson

Justin Presson Well-Known Member

That is a really nice set John. I like that combo of black and white liners, I need to give that a try.