Cutlass Bowie - Finishing the Heartache trio

Erin Burke

It's with a sigh of relief that I finally present this knife -- I call it a cutlass Bowie -- the last of the Heartache trio.

This Bowie is the first of three, similarly themed, knives to be designed, but the last of them to be built. The smallest of these knives -- a little vest fighter in Ringed Gidgee -- originated from a grinding slip-up while building the mid-sized Persian fighter. That fighter -- similarly -- came about due to a hairline crack that formed when heat-treating my first attempt at the big Bowie.
I almost threw in the towel... but, well, I really wanted to see this knife finished.

Some stats:
OAL: 16-7/16"
Blade: 10" from front point to rear point of W2 with distal taper
Weight: 1.03lbs (468g)
Fittings: mild steel with texture/patina
Handle: Rib-Fruited Mallee burl from Mark Farley at BurlSource

38503929614_222b08c874_o.jpg

38503929354_89a26be452_o.jpg

I played around with some really cool texturing details on the guard and spacer, but my macro images didn't turn out well. I'll have to re-shoot after the holidays. Maybe get a shot of the small peened butt-cap while I'm at it.

Best wishes.
Erin

Thanks Rick and Stacy! I appreciate the kind words.
In all honesty, I'm glad to have finally finished the trio because -- while I really like the aesthetic of these knives -- reception from potential customers has been luke-warm... as illustrated by the fact that I still have the other two knives on hand to shoot the group photo.
I figure my next projects will be Japanese-flavored, or maybe balisongs, as both genres (in my personal experience) seem to sell quickly... hopefully restoring my mojo. :D

Back