Cutting Even Bevels

A lot of great advice here and I will mirror most of it for you. Try to start your grinds with your non-dominant hand and then use your dominant hand to try to match the first side you do.
as others had mentioned you want to make sure everything is square and level including the angle that you are presenting the knife to the belt. Even a slight dip or lift on the blade has a line that curves up, hence the smiley face. Everything you do when grinding is about being level, controlling speed and pressure.

I think your experience seems to mirror my problem perfectly. I just wish I had someone available like you to look over my shoulder. It’s probably time for me to register for a class if I could find one close to me in NW Arkansas.
I live in NW Arkansas and there are at least 3 makers in this general area that do classes. Where are you?

I live in Bella Vista.
Do you know Allen Newberry? He's been doing some classes in Eureka Springs and seems like he might do one on one at his shop. Over in Claremore, OK Billy Helton does stock removal and forging classes. I took his forging class and it was awesome. Chris Taylor over in Gentry/Siloam Springs area just started doing classes. And there's a couple guys doing classes up in Branson now too I think. Have you seen or heard of the Central States Hammer-In and Knife Show?

Great leads! Thanks. Do you have contact information or know how I can get information on these guys? No I haven’t heard of the Central States Knife show. Something you’d recommend?

I think your experience seems to mirror my problem perfectly. I just wish I had someone available like you to look over my shoulder. It’s probably time for me to register for a class if I could find one close to me in NW Arkansas.
I think Allen Newberry lives in the Rogers, AR area and does some teaching/schools. You might look him up and see if he would agree to you spending some time with him. I have no idea what he would charge for a few hours, but it would be worth checking into. I also think he was a Forged In Fire winner.

Sorry for duplicating what Anthony posted. We do have several knife makers in NW Arkansas, including those he mentioned.

I think Allen Newberry lives in the Rogers, AR area and does some teaching/schools. You might look him up and see if he would agree to you spending some time with him. I have no idea what he would charge for a few hours, but it would be worth checking into. I also think he was a Forged In Fire winner.
Great! I'll look him up. Appreciate it!!

About everybody is on Facebook. Allen lives in Fayetteville I think. He does the "little craft show" in Fayetteville sometimes and teaches a class at Eureka Springs School of the Arts every now and then. I believe he might do one on one time at his home shop.

Billy Helton has a website and is on facebook, https://heltoncustomknives.com/. He hosts classes about once a month I think.

Jo Smith is the one doing some classes up in Branson, Silver Anvil Metal Craft, 486 Branson Landing Blvd Suite 203, Branson, Missouri.

Chris Taylor works under the name Taylor Made Knives, again, he's on FB.

The Central States Hammer-in bunch is a rotating hammer-in/show moves from Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma every year. This year in the fall they'll be up in NW Ark. Actually, Allen Newberry is this years organizer. This is a great event to attend since most of the guys live in the general area. And like everything else, they have a FB page where most of the info gets shared.

About everybody is on Facebook. Allen lives in Fayetteville I think. He does the "little craft show" in Fayetteville sometimes and teaches a class at Eureka Springs School of the Arts every now and then. I believe he might do one on one time at his home shop.

Billy Helton has a website and is on facebook, https://heltoncustomknives.com/. He hosts classes about once a month I think.

Jo Smith is the one doing some classes up in Branson, Silver Anvil Metal Craft, 486 Branson Landing Blvd Suite 203, Branson, Missouri.

Chris Taylor works under the name Taylor Made Knives, again, he's on FB.

The Central States Hammer-in bunch is a rotating hammer-in/show moves from Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma every year. This year in the fall they'll be up in NW Ark. Actually, Allen Newberry is this years organizer. This is a great event to attend since most of the guys live in the general area. And like everything else, they have a FB page where most of the info gets shared.
Wow! Thanks for the information. I've contacted Allen and have made arrangements to connect with him sometime after the new year. I'll definitely be planning on attending the Hammer-n Bunch this fall.

Back