Dagnabbit!!

Dacks

And the new year was lookin' so bright! :(

I've been finishing up the sheath for one of my latest knives..... almost there.... just a couple of snaps and a bit of touch up ....... and then.......

Dagnabbit....... a big ole' nasty, scratch arcing across half the length of the blade! How'd it get there? No clue. I had been fine-tuning the contour of the sheath mouth/bolster and there it was. ( see photos below)

It is not something in the sheath.

My guess is the blade just barely brushed against a piece of sand paper.

To add.... this is one of 7 recently made knives I plan on presenting to a local art gallery for a jurried(sp?) entrance appraisal this coming Monday.

I need to take care of this, obviously, before I submit it to the jury.

Can anyone give me a tip on how to do this? EASILY!!??

The blade is O1 steel hand rubbed to 1000 grit and finished on a Scotch Brite wheel. The scratch runs from mid-guard/bolster, starting in front of the plung line, towards the tip sweeping upwards to the spine, ending at about mid-blade.

christmas2009011.jpg

christmas2009012.jpg

Last edited:
that isn't going to be easy to fix in any way other than redoing it. I am always very reluctant to try to fix any cosmetic issues on already sharpened knife. I have in the past, taken the edge off completely, done what needed to be done and then resharpened it.

It's not a "nice" thing to have to do, BUT, with extreme care you can do it without taking the edge off. Place the knife in a secured, strapped down position. It must be positioned so it won't move. Now get yourself some Mobile 1 if you haven't yet done so. Place some on the blade and place 600 grit sandpaper on the block that you used to originally do the satin finish, and give it a few strokes back and forth. No need to try to use an edge and go all the way through. Adjust the size of the sandpaper if necessary. You will be over the problem in no time. Sure do the other side too. Frank

Thank you for the tips guys.

Frank - I've read a bit of a conversation you were part of concerning the use of Mobile 1 oil.

Is it only Mobile 1 oil, or does any (motor) oil work?

I'm psyching myself up to do this tomorrow. Yes, I need to psych myself up for this because I'm just not very confident I can do this without leaving fish hooks at the plunge line.

I was kinda' happy with the way this was turning out until this occurred, and now I feel the time pressure to get it done right..... again.

Two steps forward..... one back.
Oh well.

Pretty sure Frank is referring any Synthetic Motor Oil. I read Franks first post. Very interesting and sure worth a try2thumbs

Stabber, Frank - I just went back and re-read that entire post and I have to say, I think its worth a try as well.

I have a "practice blade" for this sort of thing that I'll have a go with first before I do the good knife blade. I'll show the results when done.

Having a practice piece is always the way to go if you can.You won't be showing any of my dirty laundry in public. Hard for some to believe but it does work super well. I'll bet all the next ones you do will be done with the Mobil 1 . Good looking knife, by the way !! I was so interested in wanting to help I forgot tyo say that. Frank

If you can't get the scratch out you can send the ugly old thing to me. Wow! That's a great looking knife and sheath combo.

I finish some of my (better) blades with a green scotch brite pad. I clamp the pad to a backing board in the vise and draw the blade from plunge to tip in one motion. Leaves a nice even pattern and might take out your scratch. Kevin.

Timekeeper.
Wish I could hand pass the Mobil 1 to you . Give it a try. I'm sure you would continue using it for satin finish blades. Frank

Back