Damascus bolsters

Kev

For those of you that have done Damascus bolsters, what kind of pins do you use?

Bolsters are gonna be tough with Damascus. Getting the pins to "blend" like you can with brass/ss won't work.

You could do hidden pins. That involves drill holes in the backs of the bolsters, hollowing out an area in the holes, and then using a brass pin that's just a little longer you compress both sides to the blades. The slightly longer pins and the hollowed out area allow the pin to mushroom and create the mechanical bond. You would also use epoxy while pressing.

The site below has a more detailed description of the process. I've done it without threading the tang but it's more difficult as the pins move around.

I did mokume bolsters once using hidden pins years ago. Used super glue to locate them, then drilled through the tang partway into the bolsters. I used a dremel with a little burr cutter to dovetail the holes a bit and put in pins that were a little longer than the hole was deep and pressed it together. It worked pretty good. I remember one guy was spot welding his on years ago, that might be an option.

I’ve done them as described but used small all thread to stick through the holes. A cut off screw works as well.

as mentioned, seems like it would be tough to get something to blend in... Could you do something that contrasts the Damascus? Maybe gold or silver, with a little engraved design? Or through bolt with countersunk head and nut with mother-of-pearl inlay caps? (Just spitballing here...)

as mentioned, seems like it would be tough to get something to blend in... Could you do something that contrasts the Damascus? Maybe gold or silver, with a little engraved design? Or through bolt with countersunk head and nut with mother-of-pearl inlay caps? (Just spitballing here...)
What about solder or braze?

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I haven't used Damascus bolsters, but this is how I do hidden pins for bolster material.

You can also put small pins through your tang that are about 1/16 higher than your tang. Then drill a small matching hole in your bolster material that doesn't go all the way through. Then add epoxy of your choice.

Don Hanson used to use fine gold. That got a bit expensive. Even with peening, he used a particular type of Loctite glue. Of course, you could always gently forge weld them to the blade. ;)

Don Hanson used to use fine gold. That got a bit expensive. Even with peening, he used a particular type of Loctite glue. Of course, you could always gently forge weld them to the blade. ;)
Yeah.... forge welding is DEFINITELY the way to go. You get paid by the hour, right? :D

There are a TON (literally hundreds) of types of threadlocker and Loctite brand glue. Enough that I'd actually go ahead and call the sales department at Loctite (or Permatex, Vibra-tite, 3M, DuPont, etc) and get their recommendation. Maybe email them, but calling is a better way to go. You could spends A LOT of hours researching threadlocking and bearing retaining compounds, superglue, etc.

When you do that what do you use for the female side? I generally use what I would consider thin stock, and even with fine threads I don’t think there would be enough purchase to hold the bolster on?

Yeah.... forge welding is DEFINITELY the way to go. You get paid by the hour, right? :D
How do you think that some of those old line German kitchen knife companies make their 'Integral" stainless kitchen knives? Blade material comes off of a roll. Bolsters are forge welded to the blade stock using induction heat from what I can tell,. There are videos of the process on youtube.

When you do that what do you use for the female side? I generally use what I would consider thin stock, and even with fine threads I don’t think there would be enough purchase to hold the bolster on?
You could still thread the tang directly. You'd be surprised how few threads it takes to make a really strong connection.

Or you could off set the screws a bit on each side so you get full tang thickness threaded on every screw. I personally would not use this method for looks reasons.

Or you could use a threaded standoff/barrel in your tang and recess it up inside your bolsters also, giving you more total threaded area.

I just use 1/16" pins and epoxy/peen the pins like normal...I don't do many of these, but did this one last week, so figured I'd contribute!lol
e5fc9bdcdcd061f2c7c9b7aa248eba43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back