Damascus Source Question

chrisstaniar

I was just poking around the Alabama Damascus site and I'm curious about their pricing.

They have various billets for sale and the prices are about in line with what I'd expect, in the 100+ range. But then they have fully ground blades for like $60 and less. They list the steel makeup for the blades and it looks ok, but at that price my pakimascus detector goes off.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a pre-ground blade but was wondering?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using Damascus from them at all. They use too many dissimilar steels and even at least one that won't harden (low carbon).

Again, just my opinion.

Gotcha, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm fielding questions from a client and that pricing kinda threw me for a loop.

I’ve used their stuff before and the blades turned out nice looks wise, and hardened fine.
That said, I am at best a rank amateur, and I don’t have the training or eye, to spot troublesome material. That said I haven’t experienced any delaminations or fatal flaws.
I would never say that they are the top of the heap, but the service is there, and the products meet my admittedly meager standards.
All things aside I am continuing to source a more consistent supplier, but for now I feel like the steel pairs with my current abilities.

I'm in the same boat, not an expert in Damascus. Some of the steel I saw in their makeups seemed "odd" but not knowing I came here to ask.

I've used several of their billets and have been satisfied with the results. I have had to anneal their billets before using however.

I have used their Damascus before I started making my own and I will tell that it is not from Pakistan or the like. All of it I have used has hardened fine but keep in mind that the only test I have is a file. I am sure John is correct in his above statement however. I have not used them in a couple of years though, because I make my own now.

I've used Alabama Damascus in the past and it's ok. I've always wondered why they chose the steel mix they use. I suspect they've got a source for cheap. Sometimes with thinner stuff more care is needed due to warp during HT. Good for the price, and definitely not Paki stuff.

On the one hand, it is American made steel and better than the imports. On the other hand, you do in fact get what you pay for. I've used it a half a dozen times, and had problems some of those times. I don't prefer it, but it is better than Paki.

I have used a few of their billets and it has been good so far. I don't have the tools to make my own. I have been to their forge in Alabama 3 times and bought my billets there. Its a great day trip if you don't live too far away. Very nice people.

ok thanks all. I didn't mean to compare their stuff to Pakimascus. I was just thrown by their pricing for their premade knives - $60 - $100 seems pretty cheap for a damascus blade that is profiled, ground, drilled, etc. Made me wonder if those were being outsourced or what the scoop was.

ok thanks all. I didn't mean to compare their stuff to Pakimascus. I was just thrown by their pricing for their premade knives - $60 - $100 seems pretty cheap for a damascus blade that is profiled, ground, drilled, etc. Made me wonder if those were being outsourced or what the scoop was.
If I’m not mistaken the pre made blades are pre cut, by I think a laser, or maybe water jet. My guess is that some layer of automation is also used to grind the bevels, most likely a jig or something. I’m just theorizing here, I do not know any of this to be fact.
With that I would assume he is able to offer his pieces at a lower price. But again just speculation on my part.

Back