Danger Will Robinson! Danger! The importance of good air and PPE in your shop

Sean. SWAMP cooler conversion, You might put a feeler out to Ed Caffrey. I don't remember how he did it but remember an old post about how he used one to solve part of his dust problem.
As far as lungs did they check into allergies for wood dust. NOT second guessing Docs but,, You might have stirred up some dust from a previous handle that had toxic potential and breathed it in. Some people don't have the same allergic reaction as with skin surface contact. Saw cases in service where people threw wood with poisonous resin/oils in them on fires and guys breathed it in. Totally different reactions than skin contact. Just a thought!
My last knife handle was Cocobolo and I told them about that. But they didn't come up with anything concrete. I remember vaguely Ed Caffrey's conversion. I'll have to look it up.
Thanks

Allergic reactions are strange..seen guys I've trained with for years never have a reaction to various stings. Then on day your hitting them with the Epi needle and med evac them.

I believe the devil has a whole forest of Cocobolo growing in hell. And his easy chair is made of it. I haven’t used it in at least twenty years, it’s bad stuff. I also think that the folks that do use it with no Bad effects are in for a bad surprise one day.
I've used Cocobolo several times and never had a reaction, 'til now? It wouldn't surprise me. It's a beautiful wood, but methinks it's off the list.

Sean, I found the post that shows Ed Caffrey's dust collector.

Sean, I found the post that shows Ed Caffrey's dust collector.
Thanks MTBob. I'll check it out. Much appreciated

Update: I went to see the pulmonologist today and things are still up in the air. They want me to stay out of the shop for another month and build up my strength by walking, etc. as much as I can. Chest X-ray was a bit cloudy but I really don't know how to interpret them. I'll be hearing back in a few days on my blood work etc.

Feeling better every day though. So fingers crossed that I'll be in the shop before the summer's over.

In the mean time there's Gardening.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Good to hear your feeling better Sean, stay out in the fresh air for a while.

Another story to add here. back in the 70s I'll just say a friend I know worked at the Boeing Vertol plant in Philadelphia.
this plant started building the Osprey helicopters. he worked in the rotor shop. a new material came in for laminating rotors...Carbon Fiber.
this stuff was new to the market, he said the plant didn't even have MSDS info for it. nobody wore respirators, they weren't required.
he said at the end of a shift everyone was blowing all kinds of filth out their nostrils.
there is a powerful union up there and after they were notified respirators were made mandatory.
you can't help but wonder what kind of lung damage occurred to those folks, maybe years after the fact.

Update: I went to see the pulmonologist today and things are still up in the air. They want me to stay out of the shop for another month and build up my strength by walking, etc. as much as I can. Chest X-ray was a bit cloudy but I really don't know how to interpret them. I'll be hearing back in a few days on my blood work etc.

Feeling better every day though. So fingers crossed that I'll be in the shop before the summer's over.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, but that's a bummer you still have to stay out of the shop.

Hopefully the time out will allow you to heal up properly! Wishing you all the best!

Interesting... The issue is still - where is the air coming from though. Are you going to put it outside the shop to breathe in outside air? If so yep a heater would be nice for sure! And what about when it rains?
It's going to be in an outbuilding. I would be running the intake through a HEPA or similar filter.

One of my future plans is to build a detached compressor shed. I guess I'd be the size of a small garden shed. Like 6X8 feet. Enough room to keep my big compressor and be able to work on it, plus store my other compressors and spare parts, hoses, etc. It'd go there. Maybe 10 feet off the back entrance to the shop.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Sean, we're all pulling for you, take it easy and get better! There's a season for everything and, with spring coming, gardening sounds like a perfect alternative.

Sean, we're all pulling for you, take it easy and get better! There's a season for everything and, with spring coming, gardening sounds like a perfect alternative.
Thanks Bob. Getting better every day.

I'll see if I can turn my thumb into a green one.

Careful with the green thumb stuff. Should you prove to have one and the yard starts looking great, the significant other will expect it to be kept looking nice. That'll take away from knife time when things get better!

Stick to the Docs orders Sean...it gets tempting to bail on their advice when patience wears thin....you'll be back in the shop in no time!

Update: I visited my pulmonologist again today and I'm tentatively cleared to work in my shop again. There are some provisions though. Any changes for the worse and I'm to stop immediately and call them. Plus I need to continue to monitor my Oxygen levels and my endurance. Not too onerous at all.

There is still a follow up high-res CT Scan and a Pulmonary Function Test. I suppose if those turn some thing up things may change. But I'm feeling almost normal. Or as normal as I ever am.

So on that note I ordered a new respirator for the shop. The 3M Full Face Mask. That will be here Thursday.

I've done a lot of thinking about my shop during this time off, and I'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning and re-arranging first. But it will be good to get out and get started.

Back