Daniel’s KITH WIP

You can try it leaving the scales on but I've never had any luck, eventually they want to lift and come off on their own.
I've always lightly scraped them off. when they come off their kind of clear, the color and pattern stay on the skin.

I have used the Glycerin/Alcohol mix and I have also just stapled them to a board and let them dry out with nothing on them. Hmm, that reminds me, I have a few in the freezer I need to get out and skin them out. I can't find my Knife sheath pic but here are a couple Guitar straps that I made, Both of these I just dried the skins on a board. One is a Timber rattler the other has a Copper Head insert.

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8852.JPG

I've done the glycerin/alcohol mix and just let it sit in the solution for a week. Then clean it off after. Like it was said earlier, if you're trying to tack or glue it to anything you'll definitely need to get all the glycerin off as it'll cause it to separate. As for the "top scales" it seems as there can be an extra layer of skin on top of the scales that can be shed later. I don't know how others deal with this, but after I've processed the skin, I'll pain stakingly sit there with a dental pick and needle nose tweezers pulling the skin off each scale (great audiobook time). Luckily I don't deal with a large amount of skin at one time with my work.

This is just what I do but hope it helps.

Turned one of these020F4820-0EE6-4D59-9C7B-45CE1622428C.jpeg

Into this. 14E54D49-0000-47F5-909F-C5FFC11FEF2E.jpegE6120681-9767-4C1A-8B8A-B0550F745B00.jpeg

Last picture has the wrought lying over the core steel. Little tweaking and lots of cleanup to do tomorrow then I’ll have to do the other half of the wrought iron.

It looks like by some miracle the San Mai welded up. 5795E4A1-6B9D-4DC8-A987-65B71D400B52.jpeg04C6430E-F33C-4225-9B88-D6B8C75D6F44.jpeg2352920C-5C5A-40C7-9C1F-782A19C77687.jpeg

This billet will not be big enough for the Bowie I had planned. I had two billets of the wrought iron drawn out but one developed a crack dead center so I just cut one of the wrought iron billets in half to make this. I will either re-design the Bowie to accommodate this billet once it’s drawn out or stick to the original drawing and just do a mono steel blade with Wrought fittings. Thanks for looking!

Quick update. I tried something when welding up my san mai billet it and it didn’t work out so well and ruined my forge lining I’m gonna get it re-lined this next month and I’ll get back on this. More soon!

Little more to draw out tomorrow and there’s still a few spots that need some tweaking but I think there’s still enough meat to fix a few trouble spots. Harder then it looks to keep the core centered. Sure didn’t make as big a billet as I wanted either but we’ll make something out of it!406D9D58-7661-4901-BE23-F386981E7B3E.jpeg

Back