Daniel Macina's KITH WIP.

Daniel Macina

Alright while I'm waiting on my bubble jig to come I figured I would post up a few designs to see what everyone wants for my KITH knife. I am not a artist so changes will be made as I get the knife in hand and can get a feel for it.

This one I was thinking 1075 with a hamon and possibly jade green scales?

IMG_1284.JPG

This one still isn't quite right but like I say I have to get it in hand and see how it feels. Same as any other blade.

I'm thinking 1075 again with a hamon and some type of wood for this one

IMG_1285.JPG

And for this paring knife I'm thinking AEB-L and maybe some black palm for a handle?

IMG_1283.JPG

Let me know if you hate them all. Lol. I can come up with something different.

I've picked all three so far, starting with one and ending up with numbrr three. All are workable designs. In purely my personal opinion, the first one is a workable design.
Number two I like, but I think the swept back sharp point at the heel of the blade may be risky for the user. Perhaps just round it a little.
The third one is a nice overall design and should work great.

Last edited:
I like one and three. I have a hard time with those personally, I just can't seem to get those two styles "right" to my eye so I appreciate other people's endeavors with them.
Edited to add; I hate my auto spell correct, it is just not correct.

I've picked all three so far, starting with one and ending up with numbrr three. All are workable designs. In purely my personal opinion, the first one is a workable design.
Number two I like, but I think the swept back sharp point at the heel of the blade may be risky for the user. Perhaps just round it a little.
The third one is a nice overall design and should work great.

Thank you sir! You are absolutely right about the point at the heel of the blade on 2. I hadn't thought of that.

I like one and three. I have a hard time with those personally, I just can't seem to get those two styles "right" to my eye so I appreciate other people's endeavors with them.
Edited to add; I hate my auto spell correct, it is just not correct.

Thank you sir! My favorite all around knife is a drop point hunter and I can't design one to save my life. Lol. Number two was meant as a small fat blades EDC but ended up looking like a kitchen knife. Maybe if I scale it back a bit and take some of the fatness out of the blade?

In my mind (and that can be a scary place), I think of EDC as being shorter ( but that's just me mind you). The design would make a very nice Hunter, the fatness didn't both me a bit, but a bit slimmer would look good also. Looking forward to what you decide, as I'm sure it will be a very nice knife!

I like them all. I would maybe thicken the joint between the handle and blade on 1 and 2 but that is in the eye of the beholder. 3 is probably my favorite... I really like that lil dude.
My favorite all around knife is a drop point hunter and I can't design one to save my life.

These can be tricky... here’s a tip (pun intended) imagine how far you want to drop the point, then cut that amount in half. I always dropped the points too much, and they would never look right.

Disclaim: Anything I say is a pure guess. Always ask someone else first.

@Kevin Zito yes the handle on 1 definitely gets to skinny towards the blade. I had a hard time designing a handle like that.

Thank you for the tips on the drop point knives! Much appreciated!

I like #1. I see the thumb stop on the spine. I like a place to put my thumb and I love an upswept point for skinning. The only design suggestion I would have is the finger well. Maybe think about making it a longer smooth curve from the heel of the blade making a graceful curve into the handle “belly” area. But again, only a suggestion. If that makes no sense let me know I will try to draw the suggestion, but I am no artist either.

The reason I suggest that is because it will be a bear with simple tools to make those quick curves. Maybe like this, but please, if it was a design feature keep it and see if you like it. Your opinion is the important one here.

IMG_3901.JPG

I really like your idea. Mine was a design ideal but I'm not so sure it was a "good" design idea. Lol. I'll keep messing around with it. Thanks buddy!

If I go with the first design making a sheath for a knife that curvy (even if I dial the curves back a bit.) is going to be a booger.

I use my bubble jig on many knives I grind. I have muscle memory to grind totally freehand but I lack sufficient focus to concentrate on keeping things perfect and still. The bubble gives me something to focus on when my mind would otherwise wander and I would be thinking about anything other than grinding a knife.
That reminds me, I have a really good ADD joke:
How many people with ADD does it take to change a light bulb?

This is where you say, "How many?" and I reply

"Want to go fishing?"
If you have ADD or know someone well who does you know that is true. I often tell people it is like watching TV when someone else has the remote and is constantly changing the channels without permission.

Got a template roughed out. Pretty dang comfortable but a few issues. It's probably a little narrow at the finger well. Finger we'll probably needs to be a little bigger. Fits me perfectly but I kinda have thin fingers. Progress!IMG_1319.JPG

Ok guys I received some news today that is more then likely life altering (in a good way) and I don't know if I will be able to get a knife done by the deadline. So I'm going to have to drop out. I'm bummed because there where some amazing knives being made and I had a design all ready to be roughed out. I am embarrassed about this. I had no idea this would come up when I entered. As soon as I figure out what's happening I will do a give away. I apologize fellas.

Back