Deer leg bone handle

levernut

I'd like to make a couple of hidden tang knives using the leg bone of a deer. I'd like to use the bone cut to the appropriate length and not modified in any other way. I will be getting green bones so is there any special process required? Do they need to be stabilized?
Also, are the bones attached like any other hidden tang or are there special techniques required?

Just be as gentle as you can. Deer bone is brittle. Let them dry for a couple of months before using. They will shrink slightly. Fill the marrow channel with a good strong epoxy, or better yet epoxy a wood core in it. If you don't do one of those, and just pin it, it won't last under use. Wood core, epoxy, and two 1/8" iron cross pins, and it will serve pretty well except for heavy chopping.

Yes I agree with the above. I might be so bold as to suggest stabilization as well as a wood core.

I use them fairly often. Most are for kids whose first deer is a doe. Since does don't have horns, a knife made with the leg bone is a good keepsake. As usual, I agree with Mr. Frank.:) I gently boil them (just barely a simmer) in water & TSP for about 20 minutes. Let them cool slowly, rapid cooling will cause them to crack. Ask me how I know. After they cool go outside and sling the marrow out of the center and clean the rest of the bone with a brush. You may need to boil them again to get all the crud off. After they're clean you can dye them in Rit dye and hot water if you want a little color. After you get the color you want they need to thoroughly dry for a few months. I've never had any stabilized but I'm sure that they would benefit from it.
I have one in progress right now. I'll try to post some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

I usually use potassium permanganate to dye my bone and antler. Based on how many dips and polish cycles will effect the color and effect you will get. I dothis after curing the bone. Most of my bone is found laying out in fields aged. I clean them with TSP and throw them in a box out back for a couple of months before working with them.

rps20131214_205513.jpg

I also selectively paint darker areas with leather dye to create shadows and contrast before dipping begins. I always use cross pins. Mainly made of of 416 SS, as that is what I have around.

Back