Definition of "Shadow Pattern" and explanation of washers?

JC in SC

Is this a specific pattern per se or terminology used to describe just about any slip joint without front bolsters? I'm new to the whole slip joint thing, so I'm trying to get an understanding of the various patterns, terminology, etc.

Another question regarding the lack of front bolsters is the use of washers. Is this done to improve the look (i.e. the pivot pin might otherwise look too small) or to reinforce the handle material for pinning? If done for reinforcement, is it only necessary with natural scale materials and safe to omit if using phenolics?

My first slip joint does't have bolsters and I wasn't planning to use washers; however, now I'm questioning whether or not that is a wise decision. For reference, handle material is Ivory linen Micarta.

Just any slipjoint without bolsters is refered to as a Shadow Pattern. So you can have a Shadow Pattern Swayback Jack or a Shadow Pattern Peanut. For installing washer it is for reinforcement in natural materials. It is completely safe to leave out in G10 etc. Have a look at my page on destruction testing the pivot pin without reinforcement. http://knives.mutantdiscovery.com/destruction.html

If you like the look of the washers then there is a nice tutorial here on KnifeDogs by KR Johnson http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?10218-Washers-in-a-Sodbuster

Also a Shadow Pattern can have liners or be without liners.

Post pics up when it is done :)

Alistair

Thanks for the explanation and link to your testing. It is good information to have as I really don't care to put any more work, such as adding washers, to an already compromised blade. I just want to finish it out so that I can get started on the next one.

Obviously shadows perform well without washers but if a customer wants them, there's a how to in the tutorial forum.

Before seeing your tutorial I just thought shadow patterns used a really large pivot pin:what!: You thoroughly explained the 'how', but I was still fuzzy on the 'why', which prompted this post. Thanks again for the responses.

Back