Demagnitizing - removing magnetism completely (recommendations needed)

REK Knives

Hey guys. So I've got a vintage electric pass - through type demagnetizer but I did leave it on one time too long and it started smoking. That being said it still seems to work as I can feel the magnetic field like normal when I turn it on.

The problem is I'm still getting some very light residual magnetism in the blade... Like when I sharpen all the steel dust is attracted to the blade.

For others that have one, I was wondering if you have this issue with your demagnetizer? (regardless of what type - I'm trying to decide if I need a new one and which one to get)

i-3zPQtdQ-X4.jpg

i-7vrMKCD-X4.jpg

Magnets are fun. :D

I love the look of that old degausser. They definitely don't make 'em like that, anymore. All injection molded plastic and machined aluminum... They either look like toys or lab equipment.

I'm sort of in the market for one, too. My issue is that my drill bits are all magnetic.

The three kinds I'm looking at are plate, pass-thu, and wand degaussers.

That's sort of what I'm leaning towards right now. Cheap, too.

Seems like pass-though/loop demagnetizers are harder to come by in a size that'd make sense for knife makers or general shop use. You've got "watch demagnetizers", then the next step seems to be (relatively speaking) huge stuff.

Interesting. I have not had an issue with a knife becoming magnetic. I have a watch demagnetizer here. I wonder it if would be strong enough for a knife.
Worth a shot!

The one that I linked to draws 5 amps, though. 600W. A 1HP motor draws approximately 750 watts.

I've also seen some that only draw 80W. So.... I dunno. Maybe you don't need 600W for a knife?

I want the high wattage because I want to degauss some fairly big tools.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I have no idea why my twist drills get magnetic. It's really annoying, though. It's not like I'm drilling magnets.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

That one from Shars Tools is the one I have and it works pretty good. It seems that some blades get magnetized in normal grinding work, and other blades don't seem to be affected.

That one from Shars Tools is the one I have and it works pretty good. It seems that some blades get magnetized in normal grinding work, and other blades don't seem to be affected.
Ken, so after you demag a blade and then move it through a pile of grinding dust it won't attract any like my Pic above?

I was just out in the shop cleaning all the random junk off a workbench. I have a soft jaw vise on that bench and I used it to hold an axe head while I roughed it in with an angle grinder... My files are magnetic, my twist drills are magnetic... look at the amount of grinding dust on the bench. The whole bench and the wall behind it (and everything hanging on the wall) is COATED!

Attachments

• 20220419_210606.jpg
    20220419_210606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Back