DeMo Knife Thread

It has been sometime since I posted in this thread. I do not have any great excuses, but, I have been busy with life and really have not finished on any knives lately. Here is one that I am currently working on. It will be my very first through tang with a finial nut when it gets completed.

I still have a ways to go. Hopefully over the Christmas/New Year holiday season, I will get a little bit of time to push this project forward a bit.

What do you think?

DeMo

DSC04778.jpg

It has been a long time since I posted a new knife. In fact, four months too long. But, I have a good one to post up today.

6 inch blade of 1095 high carbon steel. My first through tang construction. 5 inch handle of dyed elk, g10 and brass. Top of the blade is rounded. Guard and end cap are fluted.

Sheath is dark brown and light brown. Although the light brown looks a lot like saddle tan.

This knife was supposed to be mine. You all know how that goes . . . I promised a good friend a raffle knife by March 1st. This is the only one that I can get finished by that date. I will need to make another one for me. This one will be hard to let go.

I hand selected the elk roll. Nice deep veining all the way around and all the way back. When I dyed the elk a chemical reaction of some sort took place. I am guessing the elk rubbed something with its antlers. It was dyed in brown feibing's leather dye and denatured alcohol. To me the handle looks green/jade colored and not brown. Pretty cool effect that I will never totally understand and probably never copy again. RATS!!

Pictures are better than me typing. Take a look and post your comments.

DeMo

PS: John Doyle - I am still a "newbie". Maybe after a couple more knives, I will start another thread somewhere else. Maybe.

DSC04810.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

DSC04794.jpg

DSC04792.jpg

DSC04811.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04813.jpg

DSC04793.jpg

Show off. The green lines are subtle till you look at the one pic and then it truly pops out. Lol I am going to have to really try to up my challenge level to try a through tang. The fluting is a time consumer as a bewbie but it does look soo stylish and cool when the time is taken to make it shine.

Here is a new knife that I just finished up. I had two (2) pieces of 6x1x.125 1095. I wanted to make a pattern for a little knife. this one measures in at right at 6 inches long.

Stabilized blue cottonwood handles, white G10 liners, brass pin and thong tube.

I really like the pattern and I make a few more.

DeMo

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

DSC04824.jpg

DSC04825.jpg

I have another knife very similar to this one that I am in the process of finishing up. Just working on the sheath.

Then, a big milestone for me will be my priority. Here is a teaser!!

DeMo

DSC04827_1.jpg

I have made several knives for US Army veterans. I have made a knife for a soon to be US Navy Veteran. This one is for a US Air Force veteran. Next up will be a US Marine Corps veteran. I try to make at least one every year to share with someone that has proudly served this great country.

This is the same knife as the little blue knife I just posted up. Except it has a different handle shape at the front bolster area. Also, a different sheath design so that the US Air Force seal emblem could be attached.

Six (6) inches long, 1 inch wide. A little knife from 1095. John Doyle provided the Asian hardwood for the handle. Very similar to my walnut desk top in the picture. This young man served some of his time in Asia so I thought that would be fitting. Black G10 liners, brass pin and thong tube, black paracord.

On to the pictures.

DSC04828.jpg

DSC04830.jpg

DSC04829.jpg

DSC04831.jpg

DSC04836.jpg

DSC04832.jpg

DSC04834.jpg

DSC04835.jpg

Here is a big one for me. Yep, Knife No. 100. It took me a bit of time to get it finished up. I have been to a lot of track meets and golf meets for my kids. I do not know how full time makers get anything done. I would go broke in a hurry.

DSC04867.jpg

But alas, I digress.

No. 100 is made from 1084 carbon steel. It is the first hamon that I have completed. I also had another first in that I soldered the guard in place. I usually just use epoxy. It is just under 10 inches long. Blade 4 3/4 and handle is right at 5 inches.

Handle is dyed deer antler, buffalo horn, and 416 stainless spacers, guard, and pin. Buttcap has a pin inserted into it.

Sheath is vegetable tanned leather dyed black and antique black. Black stitching.

I am really pleased by how this turned out. No. 100 is in the books!

DeMo

DSC04863.jpg

DSC04854.jpg

DSC04845.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

Back