Design Critique

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
This is a knife I just drew up. Its main purpose is for gutting and skinning small game. I got the idea because we hunt a lot of squirrel around here and its hard to find a good knife for using on them and rabbits.

If I do decide to make this one it will be hidden tang with brass guard and redwood burl handle!!

005-1.jpg

Ern
I like the design, but it seems a little wide for small game. But maybe I clean squirrel differently.

Sean

I think a narrower blade would work better for the way I clean small game too.

SDS

Ernie,

I am just wondering how hard it will be to secure in a sheath. It looks like just over a half inch of spine on it.

I would go along with the others on a narrower blade profile. As far as sheaths ArtinNC showed a good way to retain the short bladed knives with guards in another thread.

I see now what you are all talking about, I didnt notice it when I was drawing it up!!

I will throw a revised copy up in a bit.

I would think that the guard might get in the way working close up to the carcas. I could see it if you were going to be working inside a dear carcas where you couldn't see your hand. I don't know if the width of the blade would be such an issue with the clip taking up most of the length of the blade. Make one one way and the another the other way and give them both a good workout come next squirle season.

Doug Lester

That out to be a pointy lil bugger! I like the narrow version better for the intended purpose.

SDS

Yeah i totally seen what you all were saying about the height, I must have blocked that out when I was drawing it up!!huh1

I think newer version will work alot better. this will also be my second knife and first hidden tang:eek:

For whatever it's worth, I'm going to make a skinning knife (for all animals -- deer, coons, etc.) for a friend, and after showing him what I thought was okay, he gave me a pic of what he likes in a skinning knife, and this is what I ended up with in my drawings:
joseknife2.png

The ricasso area (with the finger groove) will be fairly large, because I am not putting a guard or bolsters onto it.

Mike, that design would make a good little knife for cleaning game but I'd call that more of a caper than a skinner. Doesn't really matter what you call it though, as long as it works right?

Ernie, but sure to post up pictures when you get it finished and let us know how it works for you.

SDS

I am going to be cutting out the second design soon!!!

I cut it out of some card board and i liked the way it felt!!

Thanks for the help!!!

Back