Dilute Ferric Chloride, Yes or No?

Getting ready to etch hamons on 1095 & later etch damascus. I bought two 16 oz. bottles of PCB Etchant Solution from Radio Shack. The ingredients are water, ferric chloride, ferrous chloride, and hydrochloric acid. Is this diluted enough out of the bottle, or do I need to dilute it more? If so, how much? Thanks in advance for any and all input.luvsite1

I dilute mine 50/50, out of the bottle is still pretty strong.

When I used Radio Shack's etchant I diluted it like Chuck. I tried it weaker but it took longer than I wanted.

Last time I needed ferric chloride RS didn't have it. And not just my local stores, but all of them within the region. There just wasn't any! Got some dry mix off ebay and have been using it for a year and a half. If Radio Shack is handling it again it will be much handier.

David

What is wrong with using it full strenth then pouring it back in the bottle?
Jerry

Too strong and aggressive. It's easier to control the depth of the etch if it is diluted. Some find the "look" a little better with diluted etchant.

Thanks, Josh. My local RS manager was thinking that the company would no longer be carrying it since he couldn't find any in the central US region.

Jake, how's the price on MicroMark etchant with shipping vs. RS with sales tax? I just went through the MM web site over the weekend to see if there was anything I needed (they had free shipping through yesterday). Never saw the ferric chloride.

David

I use a 4:1 ratio water:FeCl as well. When I'm doing hamons (no damascus here yet), I etch for around 30 seconds with good results.

--nathan

Jake, how's the price on MicroMark etchant with shipping vs. RS with sales tax? I just went through the MM web site over the weekend to see if there was anything I needed (they had free shipping through yesterday). Never saw the ferric chloride.

David

It wasn't to bad. But I can't be to picky seeing as I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

-Jake

Back