Dirk Two

opaul

Ok, so really made a mess of the first one trying to grind in a fuller. I'll need to practice on scrap more before I attempt that again. But nevertheless, I went back to the shop and got another dirk started. This thing is a beast - the blade is 10-3/4" and the handle will be about 4-1/2" when finished. I've been doing a little research on the dirk weapons (need to do more) but from what I have read the handles were typically short and stout.
So I based this blade shape from the FIF dirk episode. After looking at more photos i’m wondering if I need to grind more point in the blade.
Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
OP this is a very taIented NZ bIadesmith and he showed us his dirk in progress and to me it Iooks Iike you need to needIe the point down a bit
Richard's dirk.png

Von Gruff - that is a fine looking dirk for sure. BUT - that needle point sure looks fragile.

My wife was asking me to make her a Dirk the other day because she is watching some TV show. Guess its the same one OP. I finished my Seax last week and it has already sold so I guess a Dirk it is...

My wife was asking me to make her a Dirk the other day because she is watching some TV show. Guess its the same one OP. I finished my Seax last week and it has already sold so I guess a Dirk it is...
Go for it Chris! I bet she is watching Outlander, they have some really neat edged weapons on that series. This is the regrind of the same dirk pictured above. Let me know what you think. The point on this one does seem thin but I can regrind to a more stout point, might loose another 1/2" but that's ok by me. I also decided to try my first ever file work on the spine. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Regrind looks great! That made a world of difference. I'd leave it just like that and take my chances on the tip. :)
File work is looking good too.
But will it puncture a 50 gallon oil drum and not break the tip????
Just joking ;).
I think I will leave it as is. If the point snaps off I can always regrind later.

I like the re-grind and the file work a lot. I would not worry about the tip too much at all especially since you HT in an oven so you will not overheat it in a forge during HT. I am interested to see what you do with the handle...

I like the re-grind and the file work a lot. I would not worry about the tip too much at all especially since you HT in an oven so you will not overheat it in a forge during HT. I am interested to see what you do with the handle...

Thanks.
I've been giving it some thought but haven't made any decisions, but definitely going to try what they did in the original dirks. I am going to drill the end of the tang and use a screw to secure the handle to the blade. I haven't tried that, but I've seen pictures on this forum of doing that.

That regrind has made what was essentiaIIy just a big knife into the dirk it is going to be. There were no 50 gaIIon oi drums in ScotIand when this type of knife was in its hayday but it wouId penetrate another Scot with ease.

That regrind has made what was essentiaIIy just a big knife into the dirk it is going to be. There were no 50 gaIIon oi drums in ScotIand when this type of knife was in its hayday but it wouId penetrate another Scot with ease.
I have to admit as formidable as the Bowie is, the dirk ranks up there right beside it.
Thanks I appreciate the feedback.
Also, I'm going to try for a center line hamon on the blade.

I have to admit as formidable as the Bowie is, the dirk ranks up there right beside it.
Thanks I appreciate the feedback.
Also, I'm going to try for a center line hamon on the blade.
Dude, ya gotta stretch for the fences ifin ya wanna hit a home run ! I got confidence in ya, OP.

Dude, ya gotta stretch for the fences ifin ya wanna hit a home run ! I got confidence in ya, OP.
Thanks. I was speaking as a fighting weapon. ;).
But after today I will agree that it wasn’t as clear cut as I was thinking. Any long blade is trouble for me on the grinder.

Very much like the new shape. It says dirk to me when I look at it, much more than the original. And the file work is cool. I need to learn to do that.

Very much like the new shape. It says dirk to me when I look at it, much more than the original. And the file work is cool. I need to learn to do that.
Thanks.
I’m going to do more study on the file work. This pattern was fairly easy to do.

I really enjoy doing file work. As s suggestion ,get some cheapo bar stock from Lowes or whatever , file the edges square and use it as a practice bar. Really works to sharpen your skills. I know ... Bad pun.. Couldn't resist. BJ

Update on the Scottish Dirk build. This is the handle pattern I've worked out, although I think the actual will be about 1/2" shorter. I'm hoping to have a good friend turn it for me. Haven't decided on the handle wood type yet though.

Back