Disassembly Buck 119

Hi All,

A co-worker wants me to re-handle his Buck 119... It appears to be a new-ish version - no visible pins, etc... Has anyone tried this? (taking off existing handle and replacing with a custom) Thought is prudent to run this by the forum before I hit the point of no return. Thanks!

sarah

I've never worked on a Buck 119 or 110, but over the years I've re-handled some factory knives. some went smooth, some not so much, anymore if it's not a close friend I won't do it. I regretted accepting that kind of work on most all of them and half way thru wondered why I accepted it.
to me it's just not worth the time if you could spend that time making a custom knife and enjoy doing it.

I've never taken one apart, but have seen them apart. They have been pinned through the side of the pommel since the 1960's. Hard to see the pin sometimes, but it's there.

Only trouble a friend of mine has mentioned was on the older ones with SS pommels being almost impossible to take apart.

I hope this helps…

A rescue that I inherited.

Here it is as I received it.
I broke the phenolic handle off bit by bit. Then used a hacksaw, parallel to the tang to cut the pin.

After the old handle was off and ready for the new

The finished piece….

Olive wood and buffalo horn spacer :)

Back