Disc grinder--grit options?

NJStricker

I know that the 2x72 belt grinder is the industry standard for custom knifemakers. But I also know that there are and have been a number of knifemakers that have used disc grinders as their primary grinder at least at some time during their career. Walt Kneubuehler, L.T. Wright (Blind Horse Knives), and Chuck Richards (Woodchuck Forge) to name a few.

I'm curious--are there sources for 9x11 sheet abrasives in materials other than Al Ox or Sil Carb? I know that zirc and ceramics are popular for heavy grinding in the 2x72 belts. Differences in surface area and wear rate aside, do you guys think there would be an advantage to having discs available in a ceramic abrasive? Do you think there would ever be enough of a market to encourage some of the suppliers (like supergrit or trugrit) to carry something like that?

Thanks Rudy. It looks like they have pretty good prices on their bulk sheets.

They have specials now and again at rediculous prices. I get all my high grit sanding sheets from them in silicon carbide. No complaints so far. Like I said earlier, the shop rolls are a real bargain in 220 up to 400. I use the 320 and 400 the most.

Rudy

Back