Disc sander/grinder for my next machine ?

steelerfan88

Hello all.....I am just finishing up my tool buying for my knife shop and am contemplating ordering a some sort of disc sander/grinder. I realize that a variable speed Baldor 9" machine with a KMG work rest is the ideal setup but I am wondering if I really need that elaborate (exspensive !) of a system since all I am building is simple, full tang knives without bolsters. I am only interested in making full tang tactical, EDC and hunting knives with micarta & G10 scales. I am thinking a disc will make things easier for me getting the tangs and handle slabs flat. I have looked over all the options and and have my eye on the Kalamazoo 10" disc sander....model DS10. It comes with a 10" aluminum disc/plate and a nice 1/2 Baldor motor. No...it is not variable speed and I know I will have to buy 10" disc sheets but thats ok with me since I am just looking to use it as a "flattening" machine....nothing fancy. I can order one of these units from PENN CO. for $435 which is not bad at all. my other option is to buy a 1.5hP Leeson motor from Frank @ KMG and throw on a 9" disc and make my own work rest/table. I could do this rig for about the same cost or a little less. Please give me your advice and thoughts to help me make up my mind. FYI: I already have a nice 2x72 machine (KMG) with most of the attachments Frank offers so i am set in that area. Thanks to all who assist me on this :3:

I brought the TG92 base with Disc from Tru-Grit and added a 1/3 1140 Rpm motor, it works great and I have used it with a start and stop foot switch.

Do you find the 1/3 HP a little under powered ? I was thinking that a 1HP would be much better......Your thoughts ?

It all depends what you are asking of the disk? Are you just cleaning up flats as a part timer and miter cutter scales? A 1/3 HP works fine.

If you are grinding a big stack of blades every week and tapering the tangs on your disc then a 1/2 to 1hp will work better.

I had all three over the years.

It all depends what you are asking of the disk? Are you just cleaning up flats as a part timer and miter cutter scales? A 1/3 HP works fine.

If you are grinding a big stack of blades every week and tapering the tangs on your disc then a 1/2 to 1hp will work better.

I had all three over the years.

Understood. I think I want to stay at the 1/2 - 1HP range just to have the power available. As I mentioned earlier, I am only looking to use a disc to flatten tangs and handle stock so I do not need a variable speed set up for this I think. The Kalamazoo DS10 10" 1/2HP with adjustable work table/rest looks to be a good fit for me at $435 shipped. I just wish I could find the rpm specs for it. I can't seem to find that info. ANYWHERE on the net (scratching head)

Back