Disc sander/grinder opinions needed

steelerfan88

I have been wanting a multi duty disc sander/grinder for various tasks and have narrowed my search to either the Jet 12" or Kalamazoo 10". Both can be had for around $500. Anybody have any experience with these two ?

Most of us makers prefer a 9" disc grinder, that way you can use 9"x 11" sanding sheets to make your disc and use spray adhesive to attach. Being able to reverse rotation is a big plus when working on knife flats. I have a shop fox twelve inch that I seldom use and it's a real pain to change discs, it does not reverse. I use it mainly for squaring up blocks of wood. I guess it all comes down to what your going to use it for?

The 9 inch disc is a plus. I have a double disc. One side is set up with a 60 grit for truing and removing bark. The other side has an 1/8inch rubber backing that I use with220,400,and 1000 grit.

Last edited:
It seems that for most of us, a variable speed drive is a huge advantage, and yes the 9"disc is far more use full.
Frank

All righty then......I guess I should go with a 9" based on the experienced advice here. I am setting up my shop space and want to get things right the first go round. Here is was I have bought so far :

1. KMG 1.5HP grinder w/ flat platen and small arm attachment (3 speed system) I will add an 8" contact wheel attachment soon !
2. 12" Ryobi drill press for mostly metal drilling
3. RIKON 8" drill press for handle & kydex drilling
4. RIKON 10" band saw for cutting micarta & wood handle stock
5. Dewalt porta-band w/ swagoffroad table for cutting steel & G10
6. small router table with Porter Cable 1 3/4HP router for rounding over scales/handle material
7. Grizzly 1HP/1725 buffer with stand

I guess I will need to go with the variable speed KMG 9" disc system. It is pricey at $890 though. Any good/cheaper alternatives that will serve me as good without having to spend close to $1K ? If not, I will buy the KMG system....buy once.....cry once I guess :). I already own a ton of clamps, hand tools, files and measuring tools so I am covered there:)

I plan on building full tang/fixed blade knives and have no interest in folders as of right now. I plan to keep my designs fairly simple and straight forward using O1 tool steel (precision ground bar stock). I will send off my blades to PETERS for HT to start with but will probably get a decent oven to make things nicer/easier after a few months of building.

Last edited:
The choices out there for 9" disc sanders are slim and the ones you find are pricey. A variable machine is the Cadillac of course, but there is always alternatives for us poor folks! I built mine with a 1hp 1800 rpm AC motor with a reversing drum switch, a steel 9" disk and some steel to make the base. A quick release work rest "two screw knobs" to change the sand disc, This is the most important feature because you change them like crazy! There is an old thread here that talks about a inexpensive reversing switch and how to wire it, sounds way cheaper than the drum switch that I used. If your interested I can take a picture and post it, but I really do not have the time to get into a step by step tutorial. Hope this gives a little insight as to what your options are!
P1000358.jpgP1000362.jpgP1000359.jpg

Last edited:
you can make a basic disc grinder for $300-400. disc itself, 9" from Beaumont($83) or 8" from Covington($55 http://www.therockshed.com/equipment20.html). 8" is widely used by lapidary folks and metallurgical folks, so 8" PSA discs are easy to find. A variable speed drive for a 3 phase motor that plugs in any wall will be about $150 and a motor to go with it another $100. if you shop ebay and other places you can beat these prices.

I am still wondering how much I really will need a disc. I am working with precision ground O1 tool steel and am only building fixed blade/full tang knives. will a disc really add much/do much good outside of my KMG ?

It will make stuff flat for you. I make liner locking folders. I tried to do this with a non speed controlled machine but didn't have much luck. I know have a Rod Nielsen variable speed with a magnetic hub that allows me to change from one size to another in seconds. I now after having it for several months use it a lot.
Frank

Tip: if you go variable speed on the KMG you can add the disc later. Let your knife sales buy your disc. You'll only need a motor (electric motor wholesale or Automation Direct : $150) and a disc from Beaumont ($90 roughly). The disc can run off the same VFD as the grinder.

I use 4-prong plugs: one on the VFD output and one for each motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back