Disk grinder thoughts?

Oh, you are right Wayne - it's not NEMA 4 rated, it's an open frame. None of the motors on my grinders are TEFC either - I just blow dust from the inside from time to time. I do keep a dust cover over the VFD, but I don't do much grinding there. When I'm doing grinding I move the 2X72 outside and grind there.

From what I envision for the disk grinder, there won't be near as much dust from finish grinding as there is from the 2X72 where finish and profiling take place. During profiling and beveling there is a LOT of dust flying around.

On my open frame motors, they were free, so once they do "bite the dust" (pun intended), I will be looking for a TEFC motor - unless another free (or almost free) motor turns up.

Scott: Sounds like you're doing the same as I'm thinking. Glad to hear it works good. From "one old tired sailor to another". Didn't you say you were retired navy? I'm just an old boat bum - lived aboard for 26 years or so on a 40 ft sailboat.

Ken H>

Ken, if you have a VFD on the belt grinder maybe you want to get the same hp and speed motor for your disk grinder and wire it so that you can plug in the motor that you are using.

If your belt grinder doesn't have a VFD I can fix you up. :s12137:

Thanks for reminding me - I'd forgot about the parameter in the VFD setup where you spec the hp of motor to be used. This would require same hp motor for any motor used on the VFD. Oh well - so much for my idea of using the lathe vfd on a 1/2 hp disk grinder motor.

Thanks for the offer concerning the VFD, but I use step pulleys on my 2X72 that work quite good, takes about 5 seconds to change speeds, once the belt stops. Perhaps 20 to 30 seconds from power off, to next speed. I realize a VFD is faster, but time is pretty cheap for me these days.

Ken H>

Back