Disk grinder

I think Nathan said his wife would divorce him if he ever made the discs again. I guess it was a major PITA. I know people that have them and love them though. I have the 1° disc that Tracy sells and I like. The rubber backing is a must, as is the feathering adhesive. I have a 1hp (1700 rpm) with a KBAC24 VFD. I rarely run it over 30%. I spritz the disc with Windex to help keep the paper from clogging and to keep it cool. It makes a mess on me, but works great.

I think Nathan said his wife would divorce him if he ever made the discs again. I guess it was a major PITA. I know people that have them and love them though. I have the 1° disc that Tracy sells and I like. The rubber backing is a must, as is the feathering adhesive. I have a 1hp (1700 rpm) with a KBAC24 VFD. I rarely run it over 30%. I spritz the disc with Windex to help keep the paper from clogging and to keep it cool. It makes a mess on me, but works great.

I sent him an Email and have not heard anything!!

I have regular full speed 1725RPM wired with a directional switch, beveled disc with medium tack spray I glued a cork backing on. I have to be very careful, I grind from the spine down now, because I had an edge from a large blade dig in and snatch from my hands @ mach 3 and left a huge gash in the disc I had to sand out. Yeah still waiting to hear about those cooling platens from Nathan, I imagine he is busy as hell like the rest of the world.

Shopsmith used to make a variable speed belt drive bench without all the woodworking units. It was made to mount the addons. I picked one up at auction for $50, removed the legs and put it on my wheeled grinder bench. Add a disk and go. The drive shaft is double ended so you can reverse the rotation by switching ends. Not real fast, but functional. A reversible motor could be substituted for better eficiency.

I've been using the Rod Neilsen magnetic disc grinder for several years and find it's a great machine ! I do have a variable speed control motor on it. From what I have read it seems to be the best of all. I know that's all some folder makers use to do their grinding and some makers have more than one. Frank Niro

Back