Doing bolsters

Good to see you put it up here, Art. Others will appreciate how you do it to get it done right. I sure liked that style 32 but I could have put them as numbers in a hat and any one I pulled would be very special. Frank

Maybe you would be good enough to go over your procedures to get to that super fine finish? You have it on the blade as well as the bolsters. How much do you get done on the machine and what do you do with hand finishing if you do? Thank you, Art. Frank

That was very informative, Art. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it up! Same question as Frank - how do you finish out the bolsters and blade?

Quick question on bolsters. I have always used brass but have been thinking stainless lately. Why 416 stainless and not 304 stainless? 304 is a much more cost effective stainless steel. I see most use 416 and just wonding why. Is is workablity?

Last edited:
Workability. 416 is moderately harder to drill than brass and the same with getting all the scratches out. 304 will make you cuss. It's very gummy, leaves a "hat" where the drill finishes the hole, sometimes has hard spots that will make a smaller drill press squeal. It finishes out to basically the same color as the 416. I use it exclusively due to it's greater scratch resistance - but it's debatable just how much more durable it is. I for one like it and no longer use 416 unless requested, but to each their own. It is less expensive but I guarantee the worn and broken bits and additional time to finish it mitigates any cost savings.

I just recently went to the 304 instead of the 416. I am disappointed with it for the reasons Frank hunter said. I'm going back to the 416. It just works and finishes better for me. Is it a little softer? I don't know. Frank

Back