don't judge a bar by its location

David Roeder

So this morning I drew out a concept for a gentleman's hunter that I want to make for a knife show in Kelso WA this October. So thinking of what to use I saw I had several bars of Damascus that I already had made and thought that would look great. I pick a bar, a d begin to forge it out into the blade I want and rough grind it. I heat treated it and did the finish grind and hand finishing. I just couldn't resist etching it to see what the pattern looks like, so I dip it for a minute in Ferric and pull it out with anticipation of something cool, and all I get is a freaking piece of 5160. Wow what a bummer ! Well the hunter will still be made, just as a mono steel blade. So just make sure you mark your bars of steel when you set them aside, you never know when you'll use it or remember what it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 89
I had that happen to me except I had bought the bar from a known maker of Damascus. Yes he was very apologetic and I was very disappointed. Frank

Well here's the finished knife. Despite not being Damascus, I think it still turned out decent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 35
Back