Dorien

opaul

Stay safe for you guys living along the eastern coast. This is s big powerful storm and dangerous.

I'm still cleaning up after Michael, the winds were 130 mph when it went thru my place and devastated it.
I can't imagine what the Bahamas are going thru with 200 mph winds, moving at 1 mph.
From what I saw what Michael did, I don't think there's going to be much left of anything in Dorien's path.

It sounds like Dorian hit Marsh Harbor (Abacos) pretty much direct. Back in 1999 I was in Abacos when Hurricane Floyd hit. The eyewall was about 25 miles north of where I was with my boat. Seems like I remember 155 mph winds, almost cat 5, but not quite there. That was a real storm, but nothing like this one. I had found a good spot with protection, tied up in a double slip in Little Harbor so had good protection. Boy that wind was blowing! The big concrete piles holding docks chafed thru more lines, even with a heavy bath towel between lines and concrete. That was the only time I ever rode out a hurricane in a marina. All the rest were anchored out somewhere.

With all the damage Floyd did I can't imagine the damage Dorian did with 185 mph winds. I see where one place says Floyd decreased to 140 mph when it hit Abacos, but I sure do remember NHC giving 155 mph during the storm. Memories can be wrong.

I sure hope Dorian stays out to sea and spares Fla and rest of east coast.

Ken H>

I still remember Hugo and that was in 1989.
I do to. I was in Florence S.C. with the power company working the aftermath of the storm.
We use filled trash cans with water to flush the toilet in the hotel for the first few days until we could get power restored to the critical infrastructure

I tried to convince my Sister and her husband that it might be a good time to visit their daughter back home here but they decided that they were going to ride it out at a motel. I hope it has it's own generator.

Doug

I tried to convince my Sister and her husband that it might be a good time to visit their daughter back home here but they decided that they were going to ride it out at a motel. I hope it has it's own generator.

Doug
Hope they ride it out ok!

Back