Drilling old saw blades

remist17

What do you use to drill old saw blades. I was trying to make a small skinning knife. I cannot seem to drill holes it in. I don't want to anneal it since its already tempered. Thanks

What Frank said. You can also try to spot anneal with a torch, making sure to keep the blade area cool.

Chris

Fill a soup can with sand, then fill with water. Stand your blade in the can up to the ricasso and heat the tang with a torch evenly. Let it cool by itself in the can. Even if you boil the water which you won't, you'll be well below tempering temp.

Rudy

sharpen a 3/16 or 1/4 concrete drill bit on a ceramic belt such as blaze orange by norton…….they are easy to sharpen…..just crisp up the cutting surface……put in chuck in drill press and select a high speed…….lower the bit onto your saw blade slowly……it may wobble just a bit when you start to drill…..keep applying pressure on drill bit…your bit may start to turn red…..lift it until it cools a bit and re-apply pressure…the carbide tip of the drill will cut thru any hardened steel….even high-speed hack saw blades…the trick is to back off on the pressure before the silver solder holding the carbide tips melts and you lose your carbide.i have not had good results with smaller drills than 3/16 as the carbide usually tears off……..good luck….tim

Back