Dura and Gun-Kote alternatives?

Chris Martin

Stupid question I know, but are there any alternatives to Dura and Gun-Kotes?

I have used krylon camo paints for temp gun finishes. But what about a blade finish? I will be trying it for personal uses until I can scrounge up the money for Gun Kote, gun and compressor.

I would think there has to be something out there in a satin finish that will hold. Maybe heat the blade up in the oven for a few minutes then apply a couple coats rustoleum or similar?

Ok, scold me now dogs....lol If anyone is too ashamed to mention in this thread feel free to PM me.

Chris

Brownells carries a newer product called Aluma-hyde II that looks pretty good. It is an air curing finish suitable for firearms. A couple of the guys I work with have done firearms with it and it seems to be holding up pretty good. I hope to try it sometime in the future. You just hang the item for a period of time and it cures, no heat required.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Brownells products IE Gun-Kote etc. My main focus was to get around the price of the set up to use a spray can of sorts that I can get locally, HD or Lowes etc. I plan on buying an airbrush kit and compressor soon...but for now I was wondering what else might work for a temp solution to personal blades.

Once I am set up with the airbrush I will buy some Brownell coating products. But money does not permit as of now.

Thanks again for the reply! I will look into it when I can get some bigger cash together.

Chris

Gun kote is available in a spray can. The stuff you're gonna find at the local hardware stores is gonna be a disappointment for the most part. Shame to put all that work into a knife to have it ruined by a crappy coating.

You can get a good effect by etching in hot vinegar if you want a cheap method of darkening.

Martin,

I am aware the gun kote comes in a spray can. Its the shipping that kills me. Right now I am a broke arse so its just not an option. You are right though....why put some crap on a blade that wont look good a month or so down the road. I mean the Brownells stuff will start wearing too....but I am sure anything less than that will get beat to hell.

Thanks for talking me out of it2thumbs

Gun kote is available in a spray can. The stuff you're gonna find at the local hardware stores is gonna be a disappointment for the most part. Shame to put all that work into a knife to have it ruined by a crappy coating.

You can get a good effect by etching in hot vinegar if you want a cheap method of darkening.

I hear ya buddy.

Give the vinegar etch a try. I actually like it better than the coated finishes and you cant beat it for cheap :)

mo

I will give it a shot bro. What is your method on vinegar etching? I have seen a couple different options...but I need's to know your trick's brudda2thumbs

Thanks MO!

Chris

I hear ya buddy.

Give the vinegar etch a try. I actually like it better than the coated finishes and you cant beat it for cheap :)

mo

I have been though this. Find a local powder coater. The cost is usually around 10.00 a blade. The finish is very durable. It can be duplicated when it wears off after a few years. To put you mark on the blade find an engraver and have it laser engraved for 5.00.

I use Cerakote,available from NIC IND.It is 8x's more wear resistant than gun-kote or dura-kote.

I will give it a shot bro. What is your method on vinegar etching? I have seen a couple different options...but I need's to know your trick's brudda2thumbs

Thanks MO!

Chris

Take the knife to whatever finish you like.

Boil enough vinegar to completely dip the knife in. Remove from the burner. Dip the knife and let it soak for 20 minutes. Pull it out scrub all the black crust off with steel wool. Rinse off with Windex or baking soda and water. Repeat dipping/scrubbing until you get the shade you like. Hose it down with WD40 when your finished.

mo

Boil enough vinegar to completely dip the knife in. Remove from the burner. Dip the knife and let it soak for 20 minutes. Pull it out scrub all the black crust off with steel wool. Rinse off with Windex or baking soda and water. Repeat dipping/scrubbing until you get the shade you like. Hose it down with WD40 when your finished.

mo

I'm gonna have to give this a shot. Been thinking of having some steel parkerized but this is a lot cheaper!

Cool! Thanks Martin. I will give this a try. Any pics of blades you have done this way?

mo

Nothing that shows it well. Its been a while since I've done it and the only pic I have is not a good representation. It can be anywhere from a light gray to a very dark patina.

Back