Dust collection

So which is it? The method that exitium posted says to run downpipe from below water level. The thread that JawJacker linked to says to NOT submerge the downpipe.

Ive taken the 5 gallon bucket of water a little further. We bought a vacuum cleaner called a "rainbow" that doesnt use bags or cyclonic action to trap dirt, it draws through a tank water and therefor doesnt clog at all or lose suction. What I did was take some misc parts from rockler and a 5 gallon bucket and lid from a big box store.

Mounted right under the belt grinder will be a "tabletop dust fitting ( http://www.rockler.com/tabletop-dust-fitting ) with a short run of hose that goes to 5 gal bucket lid. the same fitting will have a smaller pipe going down to bottom of the bucket. On the other side of the lid is another fitting that you attach shop vac hose to. Then you fill bucket about half full of water. The inlet from dust fitting goes below the level of the water and the shop vac side does not which should create enough vacuum in the bucket to draw air in thru the water to trap particles so the shop vac filter doesnt get clogged.

Im still putting it together, but ill try and get some pics when done.

So, I just now had to make a move. My shop is tiny so keeping the air clean is more important than ever. I'm setting up a metal dust deputy with a large ridged vacuum that will exhaust outside. The vacuum has had the filter remove and any by pass holes plugged. a dust deputy does really remove about 98% of the dust but the filter was pretty much collecting the rest. This is the super fine dust but I still was concerned about a spark and fire not when in the shop but after. Sure I have a huge stirrup pump for water and a wall hanging chemical for an electric fire. By the way, I will also be setting up a fresh air supply system to replace the outgoing air. It will just be a simple louvered vent that I can control the amount of opening on.
Frank

Just picked up a HF dust collector. I will discard the bags and plumb with metal from the grinder to the outside with a filtered fresh air intake, also building a ceiling mounted air filtration unit.

Back