Dust Collection

Freds Edge

I was wondering what type of dust control makers are using , I use a respirator when grinding but I would like to the shop cleaner.

With my lung issues, dust is, and protecting myself is always first in mind. I have a "loft" in my finish shop, so years ago, I built this.....
dust-sucker.jpg

It's a real simple setup....I cut a hole in the ceiling, then attached the exhaust end of an old furnace blower to the hole. Then, I built a plywood box around the furnace blower, with holes in the side to accept 16 x 25 x 1" furnace filters. I use a common light switch as the on/off switch.

About a decade ago, when I was diagnosed with all the lung problems, dust collection was gain a priority....so I added this one....

Swampcooler-converted-to-dust-sucker2-2.jpg

Swampcooler-converted-to-dust-sucker2-1.jpg

It's one of the small swamp coolers..... I cut a hole in the finish shop ceiling/loft floor, and mounted the exhaust end there.....a couple of metal supports, and then replaced the "hogs hair" with disposable furnace filters of the proper size.....and BINGO! OH! I did have to relocate the on/off switch, but that was pretty easy.

I usually have both running when grinding or doing other stuff that kicks up a lot of dust....and they are very effective.

Back