Dyed Stabilized maple

Boatbuilder

I've been dyeing some of the maple before I stabilize it and just thought I would get your thoughts on it. The first time I dyed the wood I put it in a vessel with the dye and pulled vaccuum for 3 days then hit it with pressure for 3 days. I then took it out and let it dry for 7 days in my smoker set at 50 deg, then cut it down the middle. It did go right thru to the middle but maybe not as much as possible. The next batch I held vaccuum and pressure for 7 days each. It seemed to be a little more penetration, but it could be just the wood. I now have a batch that will be vaccuum and pressure for 14 days each. I will post pics once it is done.

JimIMG_2319.jpgIMG_2318.jpg

They look great so far, I hope it works out for you. I've bought some red-dyed maple in the past that ended up looking kind of pink. Did you take a piece and finish-sand it yet?

James
No I havn't done that yet. These were just sanded to 36 grit and lightly rubbed with boiled linseed oil. They were "VERY" pink before I oiled them. I thought for a while that I had some handle material for women knives only. Very happy to see them darken up with oil.
Jim

IMG_2321.jpgIMG_2322.jpgI just went out to the shop and ground the biggest block I had right past the center and I am getting full penetration through the middle. I sanded it down to 1000 grit and put 1 coat of boiled linseed oil on it. Looks really good.

Jim

Back