Dying Antler, What do you use?

Diamond G Knives

Im trying out some Moose tines Ive had for years, some are weathered and grey, others have the "natural" finish on them.

Im wanting to get a giraffe bone or cracked ice ivory look. I have used my standard leather dyes on elk antler in the past, but the moose isnt taking it well at all. Ive tried a courser grit finish, and heating before staining but no luck. It dont want to absorb it.

Any suggestions??

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I'm no expert but have you tried mixing up a solution of Condy's crystals (potassium permanganate) in water. It turns a bright purple in solution but dries to a brown color on antler. It gives it a much warmer looking finish.

Garry

Mike, that's where I bought mine. They might ask for ID too as I believe it can be an ingredient used for making explosives.

Cheers,
Garry

Mike,

Thought I'd chime in about the PP.

I have heard pros and cons about using but have used it for some time and haven't had any ill effects to any antler I've ever used it on. I mixed up about a tablespoon of PP crystals in about a pint of water in a resealable container that is deep enough to dip a handle in. Keep it out of bright light and it lasts for years.

I submerge a handle in the container for 1 to 2 minutes, rinse it off and check the color. Keep doing that until you get the color you want. Leave it long enough and it will turn almost black. Let the antler dry thoroughly and buff with a soft wheel.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Carey

I have had good results using PP. There are sources that will ship off of Ebay in the powder form. They cant ship it thru the air, it has to be ground shipment PP is an oxidzer. Also a word of caution It it will turn anything it touches brown including your hands, so wear gloves as it is definately wash and wear! :eek: :)

Mike and everyone reading this thread. When I was a kid I got an ounce 1 ounce of POTASIUM PERMANGINATE. I did not know anything other than it was to dye horn and used to help chickens fight diseases. I had a very serious accident but wasnt hurt . It is an extreamly powerful oxidizer and I mixed it with some fiebings dye . It cause a chemical reaction with poisionus gas and heated up and foamed up like lava hot as hell burning hot . I have a bathroom nearby and flushed it into the toilet and washed up fast all I can say is be careful and dont mix it with anything but water. One pinch in 4 oz water will be lots to turn a handle brown if it doesnt turn brown the first time wipe it again and use rubber gloves as it will dye your hands purple for a week or more.

Hellgap's experience is typical of the rather spectacular reaction PP can create when combined with other materials.

The classic emergency fire starter of PP and glycerin burns hot enough to light anything on fire. Yes, as Hellgap advises, be careful with this stuff.

Back