Dying leather vids....

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
I was on the leathermaking forum on FB and suggested a simple way to dye leather...and got the stuffins' beat out of me by one guy...The Mod had to call a truce...lol. (i never resorted to name calling...but wanted to...lol)

I finally made two videos to show what I was doing...this is part of my "semi-production" technique....I didn't clean or sand edges for this just a quick demo on how to dye quickly and evenly.

The first vid I spray the panels....and two tone the edges to show how easy the cheap $11 airbrush works (now you know what the squabble was about...lol) But the camera quit so I did a short follow up video to show both stacker panels. Hope this helps anyone that hates daubing...(like I do...lol)

Not the same but I posted a knife I made from a purchased Damascus billet and was criticized by one fellow I never went back. I was criticized because I didn’t actually make the Damascus.
Thank goodness you guys on this site are a fine bunch of ruffians

Lessons learned in 53 years of life. The internet is full of idiots. Just remember, most of them are not busy enough to avoid telling you how to feel, how to act, how to live, how to spell, how to type correctly, etc., etc., etc. Just do your best to avoid the idiots!

Lol...Thanks Brandant!

Dennis...A guy was asking about airbrushing to dye leather. I gave the above solution but it got muddied by a Pro painter that makes his living by his "guns"(his words...lol) and had to tell me what a complete idiot I was in about ten posts...lol. I just wanted to share a neat way to dye...I have two very expensive airbrushes...and still prefer my $11 harbor freight for leather...lol.

I finally made the vids to just show the OP what I was talking about with out being ridiculed/shouted down....though I think the mod had already banned the fellow.

Ted, that is a seriously smart way to do that. I know you come from a production background where efficiency is king. You'd think people might shut up and learn something once in a while. Every time I do any part of the process I think there must be a better way. God forbid somebody share a better way.

Ted, that is a seriously smart way to do that. I know you come from a production background where efficiency is king. You'd think people might shut up and learn something once in a while. Every time I do any part of the process I think there must be a better way. God forbid somebody share a better way.
I know, right? technique is always a bigger player than "the right equipment...". That term alone is limiting, as it subtly suggests one way of doing things. To use the "right equipment" infers the "right procedure" being followed....

The entire last year has been many many hours of testing ways of doing thing in a high quality but expedient manner....still much testing to go...As I am not a "legacy style maker" I have almost too much latitude...lol...Sometimes I don't know where to stop!

Well, your ideas are always welcome as far as I'm concerned- just know ahead of time that I fully intend to steal them!
Thanks John,
Anything I share is because I think it has application for the custom maker...I may not share all the production stuff but that wouldn't help anyone doing custom work. that little sheath punch i shared was because I know it can be made with an $80 bender and many custom guys make 10 or so of a certain pattern and that is enough multiples to make it worth while...It seemed as if guys thought it more difficult to do than it is...the next one will be all hand made and I'll do a vid.

I've gotten so much help here...I want to help others "up their game" in quality and profitability.

absolutely right. There are few things in knifemaking that would enter the "proprietary zone" anyway. Processes for production are something different. Guys like me who are into this game because we enjoy the making part of making knives aren't looking to automate. A guy trying to make a living at turning out volume had better be, at least to some degree. Nobody is going to pay you more because you cut bevels with a file instead of a grinder, or profile blanks with a grinder instead of having them waterjet cut.

Lol...Thanks Brandant!

Dennis...A guy was asking about airbrushing to dye leather. I gave the above solution but it got muddied by a Pro painter that makes his living by his "guns"(his words...lol) and had to tell me what a complete idiot I was in about ten posts...lol. I just wanted to share a neat way to dye...I have two very expensive airbrushes...and still prefer my $11 harbor freight for leather...lol.

I finally made the vids to just show the OP what I was talking about with out being ridiculed/shouted down....though I think the mod had already banned the fellow.
You know it's sad people got to be like that.I learned long ago you can always learn something if you open your ears and put your ego aside.

You know it's sad people got to be like that.I learned long ago you can always learn something if you open your ears and put your ego aside.

Yeah...the guy that was drillin' me is a very talented painter...very different than a sheath maker as far as skill sets...he simply could not see the irrelevance of his argument...I'm a shlub because I use harbor freight...and that's all the further he got...lol.

Oh well...the thing that irritates me with internet blow -hards is that they muddy the waters for a newer or less experienced guy to know if advise is good or not...and I don't always have time to make a vid...

Back