Easing in a little deeper...

Brinven

(Yes, that's a play off Mudman's diving in :) )

After messing around with a Harbor Freight 4x36 (and being fairly frustrated with it), I bought a Craftsman 2x42. I know it's not that badass, but it's MILES better than the 4x36 :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403724182.311732.jpg

And of course, first step, get rid of that annoying chunk of the table (I did fire it up for a second first, just to be sure it wasn't dead out of the box lol )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403724252.527854.jpg

I played around with it for a few minutes, but the only belt I had was the one it came with (ordered some good ones from Tru Grit) and was really pleased with my first attempt at a plunge line, and blade grind. I have a LONG way to go, but this at least puts me on the path.

I've still got to cut the bottom part of the belt guard off (there's not even enough room for a 36 grit belt to clear), and attach a glass platen (its been ordered).

I'd also like to say if there's anyone out there thinking about knife making and unwilling (or unable) to jump on a $1500+ grinder, and is eyeing the 2x42 but wondering about the 4x36... Get the 42. It's much better built, and MUCH more versatile. Sure it's a $100 more, but it's worth it.

I used one of those years ago till I sold enough knives to get a real big boy 2 x72" Keep that table and all of the other parts. You may want to use them later or as silly as it sounds. When the motor burns out, you can put it together just like the picture on the box, so they don't give you problems saying that you modified it and voided the warranty.
The people you will deal with these days at sears have most likely never put one together.

The last time I was in there I had to show the young lady in the Sears tool room how to use their Paper Catalog to look up a machine I was interested in. No key board and they just don't know what to do??

I have a 42" on my bench, passing it on to my son in law for his wood shop. Great tool you will have a better chance of learning how to grind with it. Check YouTube for modifications for it. There are a couple of really good mods out there.

I'm working on the various mods now... Curious, has anyone has seen a video or walkthrough on cutting the bottom part of the belt guard? It looks like it's plastic, over thin metal, so maybe a Dremel could do it?

Thanks Brandon! Im not talking about the removable side shroud, I never even considered using it, its in the box, where it belongs :p
Im talking about the part of the housing at the very bottom that "cups" the lower contact wheel. Its SO close to the wheel that a 36 grit belt, or a scotchbrite one, wont fit at all. I have found several videos showing it after its been removed, but no one really talks about HOW they did it... I looked at it some more last night and I think my Dremel might be able to do it (I do want a clean cut). Or, option B, remove the entire housing and use the band saw to whack it off... just wondering if there was "preferred" or easy way.

Back