Electronic Camera settings

I'm certainly not the best photographer, and only know that it generally takes me about 5-6 photos per knife to get one that I like. What I've found is that settings tend to be different for each knife and/or background. Often I will use the "auto" setting on the camera, and will adjust background and lighting until it looks good to me.

It always seems that I have to do some minor touchup with software, no matter how well I thought the image came out. I try to keep the touchups to a minimum because I've seen far too many images, then seen the knife in person...and they looked nothing alike.

You said you are not having much luck. Can you post a picture and maybe we can tell you what's going on. The Nikon F50 is a film camera isn't it? A lot also depends on what lens you have.

One of the keys is lots of good lighting balanced for daylight. If you are using a lightbox, try it outside. A shaded area or a overcast day generally works best. If the camera is trying to compensate for dim lighting you will get grainy pictures.

I prefer to use manual settings of around 1/125 shutter speed, f/7 iris and ISO set at 64 or 100. I use a zoom lens but usually shoot at around 50mm-70mm. I adjust the lighting to suit the shot rather than having the camera adjust to the lighting.

I turn off the flash and do it out side when I can. I don't get too bad of a result.

Attachments

• 100_1337.jpg
    100_1337.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
Not familiar with the F50 , which mode are you shooting in ?

You mentioned a light box , but what about the lights ? Key is to not only getting light , but getting the right light ( temperature wise ) , if you shoot in RAW you can adjust your white balance after the shot ( post production ) , you can do adjust it while shooting in jpeg as well after the shot , just not as well.

with a light box , you should not be using the flash on camera .

An image of what you have so far would go a long way towards suggesting what to change / adjust.

I turn off the flash, set to macro (allows a closer focus) set sharpness to high set the light manually to match the type, and manual set the white balance.

Two things I think help me, keep the background similar in light reflection as the knife, I am now using a blue background and it helps the exposure be correct on the knife. You can use others just make sure its not real dark or real light.

I have 3 lights, even with the diffusers i dont have any light shine direct, they all point to the side or edge of the box.

One more thing use a tripod or something to steady the camera/

good luck

Back