Elk Shed Bowie in full tang 5160

Frank Hunter

Here's the latest one off the bench. The gentleman who commissioned the knife supplied me with a very nice local elk shed and I cut a great pair of scales from it for the project. It's a slightly upsized version of my regular 8" bowie, with a little more raise to the spine before the clip. The six 1/8" handle pins are 304 stainless as are the mitered bolsters and the entire knife has a hard-working satin finish. I'm going to start to play with false edges more as after doing a few, the unadorned versions such as this just look a little naked now.

A couple of fun notes about this particular knife - I started last night at 8:00 and it was ready for delivery before 2 in the afternoon. Sometimes things just come together fast. I also glued my hand in a ridiculous position to the handle as I was sealing the stag with a large bottle of CA glue - I'd given the bottle a squeeze to get things started even though I know better, and upon turning the knife to swizzle the glue into the low spots on the opposite side a good palm-full of thin superglue absolutely globbed my hand down to the stag. Then the glue kicked pretty much all at once due to the heat in the handle from finish sanding and some accelerator from the prior CA applications so the inside of my last two fingers and a big wedge of palm look like they've been deep-fried.

IMG_4961_zps46dc4cbf.jpg

IMG_4954_zps91a5260c.jpg

IMG_4956_zpsd1e455cb.jpg

IMG_4955_zps371b2d18.jpg

Frank,
Great looking Bowie. The stag looks real handsome! HF sells a thick black mechanics disposable glove that I use while doing epoxy, ca glue or using Acetone to clean things up. Its saves having to tear your fingers off of a handle when things get stuck together and helps keep Acetone out of your Liver.

Back