Epoxy inlay

cnccutter

Thought I would make a folder for a friend of mine and wanted to try a couple of ideas I have had for a while.

I have wanted o do some inlays with colored epoxy that might allow me to do more intricate designs in the future.

i carved in the Oregon State Beavers logo into my orange G10 scales, did a little undercutting to make sure things would stay in place under daily use. When I mixed the epoxy, I added some analine die to turn it black. It did a great black, but will have to find something else in the future because the die seems to want to bleed even after the epoxy is set. I had to come back and seal the logo several times with thin cyno to get it to stop.

i added carbon fiber bolsters to add another bit of interest. Boy is that a messy bit of work, glad I have a good respirator!

Overall I'm pretty happy, but will have to work on getting the process to where I think it needs to be. Will have to figure out how to keep the darn G10 cleaner while I'm working with it.

G10/carbon fiber scales
410 SS liners
O1 back spring
feather Damascus blade. ( billet from Randy Hasse )
6" open

Erik

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 72
Very nice, I like it! I've dyed epoxy a couple times to fill in around file work and I just used a few drops of India ink. I never noticed any bleeding out. One of the ones I did was with orange and black G10 too, worked fine for me.

Back