Epoxy Soaked wrapped handle...

BRad704

This isn't a How-To... it's a How-Do-I... :)

I hate the dirt that can get into my wrapped handle material, and it also can move if wrapped dry. When people the cord is epoxy soaked... does that mean you applied a thin epoxy after it was wrapped? or you literally soaked the cord and THEN wrapped the handle? How in the world do you keep from getting the epoxy all over the inner handle surface?

Thanks in advance. I've wondered about this one for a while...

Well I wrap first then soak in epoxy if that is any help. Once my handle is wrapped to your satisfaction I coat the handle liberally with epoxy. You can work it in a with your fingers (wear rubber gloves). I find that will make a tough handle, try to use a slow set epoxy. The 24h stuff drys way too quick it wont soak in very much at all. Hopefully this helps

So you don't worry about it getting onto the handle underneath? I guess I'm thinking of an ito style wrapped handle.

I can see where cord wrap over a metal only tang would be less important to keep it off the tang.

I wrap first then epoxy. I use a toothbrush and system three clear coat. It takes about 3 days to fully cure. After the wrap is coated I use a clean lint free rag and wrap it around the handle and squeeze to get any excess off. If the handle has a wet or slick look there is too much epoxy. You can use another rag with acetone to clean anything you don't want epoxy on. Make sure to account for gravity and runs depending on how you have the knife sitting. Once the pot you're working from gels up you're good to walk away. Handle should be solid by day 3.

Last edited:
If I want to build my handle up I glue leather to the tang then wrap. I found the handles I have done this way have been plenty tough. I (Unfortunately) have had to remove this before as well as a wood handle with a hidden tang. I don't know which was more secure they were both tough. If I was doing something like this again I would soak the first layer, once it was semi dry then wrap and soak the top layer. The great thing is cord, epoxy and leather scraps are cheap so you can experiment.
DSCF5994.jpg

Back