Etched and colored vintage knife.

Oldnretired

Hello all. I have this nice little stag antlered steak knife by Anton Wingen Jr. with colored etching on the blade. Does anyone know what they used to color the etching and if it's food safe?

Attachments

• ANTON WINGEN JR---001.jpg
    ANTON WINGEN JR---001.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 24
  • ANTON WINGEN JR---002.jpg
    ANTON WINGEN JR---002.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ANTON WINGEN JR---003.jpg
    ANTON WINGEN JR---003.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 23
That's too pretty to actually use - make a display for that. Is the animal on the handle carved from the handle? OR, is it added to handle? Has an ivory look to it.

That's too pretty to actually use - make a display for that. Is the animal on the handle carved from the handle? OR, is it added to handle? Has an ivory look to it.
I probably won't use it unless I know more about the coloring on the blade. The animal appears to be carved from the handle. They seemed to have access to very nice stag back in the day. My wife asked if it was added as well but on close examination I can see that it is carved into the handle. Nice work they did in days of old when dining was an event not just a meal.

I sorta thought it was carved in handle, but wasn't sure. That looks like a museum piece to me :) Display for sure. OK, I just might use it for special occasions, but not just anybody allowed to use it :)

I sorta thought it was carved in handle, but wasn't sure. That looks like a museum piece to me :) Display for sure. OK, I just might use it for special occasions, but not just anybody allowed to use it :)
Yea I think my wife is going to nab it because it's "cute" LOL.

Last edited:
Well I just turned 70 and am still going semi-strong. Been pruning trees and digging holes with my big steel diggin' bar for more trees (rocky ground). I guess if I don't keel over doing that I don't have alot to fear from whatever toxins might be left in an old steak knife.
I like using antiques to eat with, sit on, cut things with etc.....It makes me feel connected to history which makes me smile........................

You turned 70 today? You're just a "youngster" then - well, not that much younger I guess, I'll turn 78 next month. You've got the right idea, stay active. Yesterday I did over 12,000 steps laying a radio tower down, doing antenna work, using a 20 ft extension ladder to get high enough in a tree to cut some limbs out of the way of an antenna wire. Yes, life is FUN - well, except for the more aches 'n pains involved in getting "older".

Life is GREAT!!! and I don't worry as much as I perhaps should about toxins, etc.

You turned 70 today? You're just a "youngster" then - well, not that much younger I guess, I'll turn 78 next month. You've got the right idea, stay active. Yesterday I did over 12,000 steps laying a radio tower down, doing antenna work, using a 20 ft extension ladder to get high enough in a tree to cut some limbs out of the way of an antenna wire. Yes, life is FUN - well, except for the more aches 'n pains involved in getting "older".

Life is GREAT!!! and I don't worry as much as I perhaps should about toxins, etc.
Life is great even with the aches and pains. It's like my 89 year old mother said just before she passed..... "Gettin' old ain't for sissies"

Back