Ever See a Handle that Needed a Knife?

It's most likely me Eric or my monitor.
I'm blind as a bat without the 2.0 Hubble cheaters. When I'm done with a blade and remove the glasses....all my stuff looks like I'm making miniature knives to me. Maybe I wear them too much. At least the money people can see. lol.

I still don't see the brass though.

Rudy

It is Finished, My brother told me he would like to make the sheath for this knife. He got a leather craft set for Christmas and thought he was up to the task. He brought it to me tonight and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. He did an outstanding job.

Here it is.

103D57D2-CC58-4209-97F5-F74869A0333F-585-00000247CC06B452_zps88649161.jpg

B593F1E9-8751-49BE-89D7-D035BF96E1BF-585-00000247C5273C51_zps86901f27.jpg

Ricky, some how I had the impression you were just a beginner but that is not a beginner's knife! I just don't remember seeing your name till recently but that knife turned out exceptional. :35: I got to go look up your profile and find out where you been hiding at! Great work and the sheath compliments the knife well!:thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

C Craft, thanks alot. This one did come out good. My best work so far I think. If you go by time, I am still green as mint tea. I made my first knife less than 4 months ago. If you go by number of knives made, well, I'm not all that new anymore, I lost count but this knife would be in the 40's. I just don't know how to do anything half way. I am starting to get to the point I can slow down and do a little better work. Still newbie all the way, but I do my best, and recognize I have a long way to go before I will be happy with my work.

I really wish I had someone near by I could go to to get some further instruction. These forums are the closest I can come to that for now.

That is one awesome knife Ricky! Excellent job!

4 months?!? You have true talent my friend. Can't wait to see the next one.

I think it would be great to have a mentor and I have kind of started searching for one in my area. Good luck in your search...

I've been wondering two things: how you're making these great knives in only 4 months and where you find the time? :biggrin:

A question for you, what are you grinding with? I need to speed up my process...

Bowman, I'm self employed (read, poor lol) and work is only blocks from my house. I have to be here often, but I also get to be away alot as well, depending on who is working :)

I was lucky when I started, I had a friend who had a old burr king 2X72 grinder in storage and about 5 years ago he asked if he could put it my shop just so he had access to it when he needed it. I have used it for just about everything imaginable except knives. So when I started, I had a very nice grinder compared to most people. The only draw back was he left a full box of belts for it and told me to use anything I needed. Well the coarsest belt in the box was a 220 grit belt. I soon found that a 220 grit belt even on a 2x72 grinder took a LONG time to do any grinding. So I actually used an angle grinder to do the initial grind on probably the first 10 knives I made. Then I would clean up with the 2X72. Then I finally broke down and got some 80 grit belts. Nirvana! Soon, I went to 60 and then 36. Once I finally got 36 grit belt I stopped using the angle grinder to do the grinding.

Last month I moved into a rental, (we will be building soon) and about the same time my friend finally finished his own shed. He took his Burr king, and anticipating that I had already bought a coote 2X72 grinder. While not as versatile as the Burr king, it is better (for the sole reason that it has a better rest than the old BUrr kings had.) at doing primary grinds. I do need to modify the rest so that it can be adjusted closer to the belt and then I will be happy with it.

Since I had stored his equipment all those years, he happily let me set up the coote next to his burr king in his little 14X14 shed. It is cramped, has no doors on it yet and no heat, but at least I can still work on knives.

Since my wife is getting a new home, I get a new shed and I was able to upgrade from my 15X15 (in our town you don't need a building permit if the drip edges are under 16') for our new lot, (we buy 2 acres tomorrow) I ordered a 16X24 steel building which is bigger than I had, smaller than I'd like and more than I can afford. lol

Laff...well good for you. It sounds like things are going well for you on many fronts. I'm not the only one impressed by your progress; it's inspiring. Thanks for the many WIP posts and pics. I look forward to seeing more.

Back