Everyone... take care of your bodies.

Jericoh

Go see a doc, choose a salad over the double bacon, triple mayo, quadruple cheese monster burger with a double order of fries.

A few weeks ago I had the great pleasure of having a heart attack. Let me tell you, that stuff hurts and the recovery is no fun either. I ended up having angioplasty and they tried twice to run a stent through an artery that is still 100% blocked. They're gonna try again in October to see if the epic amounts of blood thinners and Lipitor I'm on can loosen the blockage enough to rotorooter it out of there. If not its chest cracking time for a bypass.

So, every once in a while go for a hike, do a jumpin jack, make the little lady give you a salad for dinner. I never thought I'd say this, but in fact, bacon does not make everything better.

I had a heart attack in 1984, with 3 artery by-passes. I had a sick wife and a 3 yr. old baby and was scared about my future. In 2010 I had a heart valve replaced along with 4 more by-passes and I am still kicking at age 70. You are absolutely right in what you suggest about living with after heart problems.

I am firmly convinced that exercise and an eating plan without junk food is the key. Cardiac exercise will help your heart develop corollary circulation allowing more blood flow to the heart. I tried all types of exercise like going to a gym, walking every day at a mall, and other things like that...but it was a big hassle and I couldn't keep up consistently. So, here's what I did.

I bought a Schwin Air-dyne stationary bike. I parked it in front of a cheap TV, both gotten 'used'. I would get out of bed in the morning, grab a bottle of water, and ride the bike for 1/2 hour while I watched the morning news and then started my day. After a while, I fell into the habit of riding and actually looked forward to it. I firmly believe that this exercise routine has kept me alive and active all these years.

As far as an eating plan is concerned, I have tried them all. What I finally settled on is giving up 'junk food'. I can't remember when I last had a store bought pizza or the last time I went to McDonalds. That is the only change I made to my eating plan along moderation in eating everything else.

As far as the medications are concerned, I am down to an aspirin a day. I had to have a cardioversion this year and was on Warfarin (Coumadin) for the last couple of months. My cardiologist said I couldn't play with pointy objects. I was bummed as I am just trying to learn how to grind a blade. After a successful procedure, I got off of Warfarin last Friday---YEAH. I now wear level 5 safety gloves for cut and abrasion resistance.

I wish you well in your recovery, and if you let me know your contact information, I will send you a pair of gloves. And, carry a couple of band-aids in your wallet. ...Teddy

Last edited:
Thanks man. It's some scary stuff. I actually ordered a few different makes of Kevlar gloves and some Kevlar coveralls which should be a metric ton of fun in Georgia's heat. I'm changing my business plan a little and cutting down on special order and custom work I take and doing more knives that I just make and put out there at my own pace.

Changing the diet has been the hardest part... no actually the hardest part has been having my nethers shaved for the catheter and then the itchy fun of regrowth. I went to culinary school, so the making of good healthy food is no problem, it's just breaking the habit of processed, high sodium convenience food. Oh, and the limited coffee thing is kind of a killer but I'm starting to at least not hate hot tea.

Kevlar coverals? Where did you get them? I got kevlar 'sleves', but haven't seen the coveralls. We need all the help we can get. :) ...Teddy

Jericoh
Glad to hear you are on the mend! I have had 2 heart attacks and 7 stents. I don't exercise as much as I should, but have lost 43 lbs since my first heart attack. I agree that all is well when in moderation.

Just wanted to drop a word of warning. I am a Safety Manager and want to make sure that folks don't misunderstand Kevlar products. They are "CUT RESISTANT" not CUT PROOF! (even Level V) they will also fail on puncture injuries. I encourage everyone to wear them, as they do provide a level of protection, just don't miss understand their limitations!

If you have a damaged or worn pair try this. Place the gloves on a cutting board and run a razor knife across it. It will cut like paper most times.

God Bless
Mike

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I was looking for something more for just the every day scrapes and nicks we all get around the shop. I've also moved a first aid bag in there with lots of celox and super glue.

Teddy, my wife found them on Amazon. They're just basic blue coveralls with Kevlar reinforcement in the chest and arms. There's not even a maker tag in them.

I keep a septic stick in my emergency kit also. ...Teddy And Mike, thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

A little update since the last post.

Man this ain't fun. Apparently I've developed some condition called Rhabdomyolysis. Which in Latin must mean "we told you to work out, but you're stupid and took it to the extreme, so you win kidney failure."

Its basically, you work out too hard, your muscles break down, muscle tissue enters the blood stream and collects in your kidneys, clogging them up. You know the feeling you get when you stand up too fast and get all light headed and cross eyed? That's what it feels like... all the time. Makes it kinda hard to do anything.

the docs told me to work out... so I did. I go to cardiac rehab three days a week, I take martial arts three days a week and every class starts off with tabata, I was riding my bike a few times a week and then working out at home. Few times a week. I told my doc this when I went to the ER for the Rhabdo and he freaked out. That was a couple weeks ago. I stopped the riding and working out at home and cut back on karate to two times a week and it is still happening.

The worst part is the treatment for Rhabdo. I have to drink 4 liters of water a day. That's twice the recommended daily amount. You know how hard it is to drink that much water in a day? It ain't easy. Not to mention the waking up every hour and a half to take a leak every night.

but I have lost 20 pounds since all this started. Down to 171.

You guys take care of yourselves. Most importantly, be extra cautious around the machinery and remember to take breaks when you feel tired. I'm in the same boat with you guys, I know how it feels.

I had four bypasses and spent six days in cardiac ICU at UAB in Birmingham, AL. Then I spent another four days in a regular room there. Then off to six weeks of rehab at Health South in Gadsden AL, followed by six weeks of home health care and topped it all off with a stroke. There are no side effects from the stroke and my doctor took me off all heart medicine 18 months ago. For once I did what I was told and it worked. Just don't push yourself to hard and follow your doctors orders. Trust me, as hard headed as I am if I can do it so can you. Just hang in there.

Agreed, I would never take statins. I can't understand how people take something that damages muscles and think it can be good for your heart.
I eat a high fat - low carb, legume and grain free diet and have never been better.

ernie

Agreed, I would never take statins. I can't understand how people take something that damages muscles and think it can be good for your heart.
I eat a high fat - low carb, legume and grain free diet and have never been better.

ernie

Fish oil from Salmon & Krill work as well as the Satins do. I don't get it ether? Why take a expensive drug with known bad side effects when most can get the same or better results from eating a good seafood diet and taking fish oil extract.

Good for you Tim turning your lifestyle around is a huge thing. I would like to add to the "eat living stuff" by saying eat lean living stuff.

Infections and medications can cause this also. I would assume you have been thoroughly tested but it could be worth discussing others causes so as not to be misdiagnosed.

Sorry to hear and I send you my best wishes for getting healthy! I am on the weight loss train now. I gained 25 pounds after my wife passed away last year and I was already overweight to start. I lost 20 so far and want to lose 60 more. It is a challenge but I need to get healthy for myself and my kids. Salad, yogurt, and watermelon are my new friends. Beer, not so much! :(

After being diagnosed as diabetic, I started a no grain, low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet (LCHF) 3 years ago and lost 60 lbs. This fixed my cholesterol numbers and reduced my HbA1c from 9 to 5.6 and made me feel great. I have managed to stay off insulin for 3 years now. This summer we have gone paddling 46 times and plan to go many more before it snows.

ernie

A little update since the last post.

Man this ain't fun. Apparently I've developed some condition called Rhabdomyolysis. Which in Latin must mean "we told you to work out, but you're stupid and took it to the extreme, so you win kidney failure."

Its basically, you work out too hard, your muscles break down, muscle tissue enters the blood stream and collects in your kidneys, clogging them up. You know the feeling you get when you stand up too fast and get all light headed and cross eyed? That's what it feels like... all the time. Makes it kinda hard to do anything.

the docs told me to work out... so I did. I go to cardiac rehab three days a week, I take martial arts three days a week and every class starts off with tabata, I was riding my bike a few times a week and then working out at home. Few times a week. I told my doc this when I went to the ER for the Rhabdo and he freaked out. That was a couple weeks ago. I stopped the riding and working out at home and cut back on karate to two times a week and it is still happening.

The worst part is the treatment for Rhabdo. I have to drink 4 liters of water a day. That's twice the recommended daily amount. You know how hard it is to drink that much water in a day? It ain't easy. Not to mention the waking up every hour and a half to take a leak every night.

but I have lost 20 pounds since all this started. Down to 171.

You're on the right track---but to much of a good thing. After my heart attack in 1984 and a triple by-pass, I was told to exercise to develop corollary circulation in the heart. I hated to exercise and tried walking (both outside and at a mall), tried a gym, and nothing worked out for me. Took too much time. So I devised my own system.

I bought a schwinn airdyne stationary bike, parked it in front of a TV, and rode it in the morning while watching the news and drinking 16 oz. of water. I did a 5 min.warmup to get my heart rate up to target, 20 min at my target heart rate and then 5 min. cooldown. I did this at least 5 days a week and my bypass lasted until 2011. At the time I had mine, I was told that I would probably need another in 10 years. Fooled them...:5::5::biggrin:

So far, I have worn out 2 bikes. Craigslist is a good place to look as they go cheap. I believe that exercise is the key.

In 2011, I went in for a quadruple bypass and a new valve. I feel great. ...Teddy

Last edited:
Back