EXCELLENT NEW BELT at a EXCELLENT PRICE from 3M

rhinoknives

Hello, Fellow Knife doggers & Dogettes.
After the problem with the backing on BLAZE belts the search for a new belt led me to VSM & Merit Best buy belts which I have nothing but good things to say about their price to performance.

Scott at www.trugrit.com Ontario recently sent a few samples of a new Lower cost ceramic belt from 3M.

I received a 40 Grit, 60 Grit and a 120 in a new line by 3M 947A Cubitron Ceramic. These belts were quoted at $7.25 $610.00 & $5.25 for the 120 Grit belts.

On a cost per performance these are an excellent value over the Blaze and the higher priced 3M Ceramic belts.

I got the 60-120 first and was so impressed with the 60 grit that I will be ordering more instead of the VSM or merit ceramics in 60 grit. The 120 seems to be holding well but I am not done with it yet.

The 40 grit belt arrived a few days later with some sanding disks and other stuff I purchased. It also seems to be strong contender for becoming my regular ordered belt but I want to use it a bit more first and see how long it lasts as a profiling belt since that's what my ceramic belts get used for after I have used up and half of the grit and they start making to much heat.

I really suggest you guys give these a try. At this price point you find them to be an excellent value.

Just so you know,
I have not been paid or given anything by tru-grit other than these three test belts to write this and Scott sends me "Test Belts" about 3-4 times a year and more often than not I tell him to pass on the brand/s of the test belt I receive from him and I don't write anything at all, cause, as our parents use to say! If you don't have anything nice to say, ,, ,,, ,,,, ,,,,,,!

I will post more as I use these belts more.
Comments and questions are welcome!

P.S. Bossdog, I suggest you look into these belts so us Dogsters can buy them from you too.

Last edited:
Laurence,

I just bought a small pile of VSM 120 grit belts from TruGrit based on your recommendation, and so far I like them.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give these a try too!

They are both good values.
These new 3M Belts really do rock and I am changing over on the 60 grits for sure.

Sounds good! I talked to Jeff @ Trugrit and he recommended VSM's since I was just starting out. Also explain a few things that never occurred to me with belts. Good people over there.

Thanks for the heads-up, Laurence. As someone who's just getting started with belt grinder it really helps to get some tips on what works.

Thanks for the heads-up, Laurence. As someone who's just getting started with belt grinder it really helps to get some tips on what works.

Roger,
Keep in mind that I use almost all stainless steel which is harder to grind because the chromium and other alloys must add an abrasive resistance. I also do all of my bevel & tang grinding after HT. So I want a sharp cutting belt that produces as little heat as possible. I only use about the first 50% of any ceramic belt for my bevel grinding cause the start to generate a lot of heat after that. Then I use them for tapering tangs and profiling etc.

A good cutting ceramic belt will leave a pile of shavings that look like steel wool

I am really pleased with how long this one 3M 947A in 120 grit has lasted.
I finished two large knives and hand been using it and have been using it for sharpening work and it's holding up very well. I will be ordering more of these myself.

Laurence- Do you find these last longer then the vsm in 120?

I love vsm in 60, but find the 120 are gone first blade I use them on. And not gone to profiling duty, but just flat out dull.

Most all of the 120 grit ceramic I have tried really don't last that long and at about $3.00 a piece the VSM still seemed the best value until I tried these 3m 120 ceramic which are a marked improvement especially at this price.

I will personally be buying these 3m belts in both 60 & 120 grit on my next belt order.

Back