Family Heriloom Ironwood Bowie

Justin Presson

This is the first of the Bowies done. I made this as a family heirloom that will hopefully get passed down for generations long after I'm dirt. Still needs to be sharpened but I could not wait to take a few pictures of it. Stamped and hand stitched sheath to go with it. 1075 steel with hamon and dessert ironwood handle.
I have to say this is probably my favorite knife to date I have made for myself. Kind of inspired by watching Crocodile Dundee as a kid...and yes I have said to my son with an Australian accent "Now that's a knife"

So much work to get here but so happy with the turn out, makes it all worth it.

Thanks for looking.
YMQgm91.jpg

IhNChO2.jpg

NfLk1ow.jpg

#customknife #pressonknives #knife #knives #edc #madeintheusa #missouriknifemaker #bowie #ironwood #campknife #hamon #bowieknife #leather #familyheriloom #heriloomknife #handmade #madeinamerica #tactical #crocodiledundee

Beautiful job , Justin. You have every right to be proud.
Just one question though ..... What in tarnation is all that gobbledygook after the last picture?
LOL....I copied and pasted the words from my Instagram post so it still has all the hashtags. If you are on Instagram you will understand if not it is basically how people can search for things.

That is going to be a treasured memory of you that goes down through the family generations. Ironwood is beautiful but matches the sheath in outstanding "look at me"

Now that is a real nice package right there. A real nice job on the blade and the handle which has an outstanding grain to it. The sheath is really superior because that weave stamp is not the easiest to keep lined up. By the way, did you clay the blade to get that hamon or did it happen automatically due the the shallow hardenability of the 1075?

Doug

Now that is a real nice package right there. A real nice job on the blade and the handle which has an outstanding grain to it. The sheath is really superior because that weave stamp is not the easiest to keep lined up. By the way, did you clay the blade to get that hamon or did it happen automatically due the the shallow hardenability of the 1075?

Doug
Doug, I did clay it but this does not resemble the pattern all that much.

Freaking cool!

How did you get the fuller so straight?
I wish I could say I free handed them but that would be a lie. I used my work rest set up with a 123 block and my John Willson turned small wheel shaft with a 2" contact wheel. Rested the spine on the block and pulled it across. I did a short video of it if you guys are interested I will upload it to YouTube.

Back