Feedback request on a couple kitchen knife designs

Brian.Evans

I wondered if you all could give me some feedback on a couple designs, given this is my first time trying kitchen knives.

About 8-8 1/2" gyuotos. I think I'm going to sacrifice a bit of width to flatten the belly out a bit. They are 1 15/16" now. Might have to lose 1/16" or 1/8" to get it right.
20140127_235013.jpg

About 2 3/4" parer. Just the pattern for now. I posted a first attempt in shop talk, but they aren't even close, so not going to post them again. Hopefully this is closer.
20140128_183705.jpg

All suggestions and critiques are welcome. Don't be afraid to tell me if they are crap. I'd rather know now than later. I'm specifically asking for design comments, so be rude if you want to.

Last edited:
Brian,
The first thing I check on a new design for the board is knuckle clearance. Those Gyuto look fine but rock them on a table to see if your knuckle touch or are even close because you want the knife to work well after extensive sharpening.

The paring handle tangs are too thick. Most pro chefs will use a Parer in there hands but home cooks use them on the board quite a bit. Your doing fine. Stay warm and have fun. lol

20140128_183705.jpg

I'm going to leave those knives alone and call them something other than a paring knife. Thus is my updated pattern. Is the spine dropping that much a problem, or will it be ok?

The stock thickness is 0.93" on everything.

The chefs are 1 15/16" right now. I have been looking at French style knives, and I think I'm going to sacrifice some width to flatten the bellies out a bit.

all of the knives I make are for the kitchen. you didnt mention what kind of steel you are going to use. I have been using O1 or 1084 for mine. the cost is low enough, get a design you like, heat treat it, put a handle on it and use it. some of my designs that did not look exactly right as a blank, turned out to be excellent cutters.
scott

Scott, these are 52100. I usually use a2 for every thing I make, but I think 52100 is a bit more appropriate for this application.

Brian,
There are four basic shapes of your small "Paring" kniVES, A Birds Beak for peeling and veining shrimp etc. A Trimmer for trimmer fat. A Kunomado "Spelling?" like a sheepsfoot. and..... A Paring knife that is A 2 1/2" - 4" Spear or modified Spear point. I suggest you look through some online catalogs of USA, French and German culinary knives to get some ideas and go from there.

Now that i've said that I really want to tell you that there are no rules here as to what you have to make. As Scott said. make a few of your designs and see if the work for you or hand them to the best cooks/Chefs you know for some research.
Have fun.

Back