Felt platen

The blade started out as a flat grind, but very fat behind the edge. I flat ground it with the hard felt S2-32 and then went to the F3 felt. I would grind the blade flat on the glass platen to at least 220 (I went to a30 gator and 800 grit cork) and then go back to A160 Gator with the F3 felt and worked my way back up the grits and blended everything.
Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful

.140" S30V with S2-32 Really hard felt:flat grind, convex edge 1.jpg

.140" S30V with F3 felt (same knife as above, different handle):
F3 felt convex.jpg

Tojiro ITK 240mm Kiritsuke gyuto complete reprofile/regrind, remove Kurouchi finish, shortened to 220mm blade length:
regrind choil.jpg

The S30V is fairly chunky, but went better thru taller cabbage than the Tojiro and does really well through other ingredients so far. The S2-32 hard felt didn't have as much convex and wedged a bit more and didn't cut as well as the thinned version. Tojiro is whisper thin and very light and sometimes just stopped in the cut with cabbage, but blows through other foods. One is more workhorse, other is more race horse!

Today I tried some carpet backing that I picked up from the local flooring store. It has a composite felt-like material with rubberized backing. The stuff is about 5/16 thick.
View attachment 77958
View attachment 77959
I used 3M Feathering Cement to mount the padding on the platten attachment so I can lift off a worn strip and put another one on.
This is how the material looked after about an hour's use.
View attachment 77960
I tested pulling the padding off without messing up the glue and it worked mostly - good enough to stick another pad on over the remaining glue.
View attachment 77961
I found that I was grinding in one location a lot, so I modified the platten attachment so it now has clips on both top and bottom. That allows me to simply flip the attachment up side down if I wear a spot.
View attachment 77963
The platten & attachment are set back to a position so the belt has little non-grinding contact.
View attachment 77965
I also coated the padding with silicon spray to make it a bit slicker. Here's how the pad looks after about 3 hours of use, running the belt at about 40-50% speed. Still very usable.
View attachment 77964
I cleaned up two rough convex kitchen knife grinds with this padding today, and I'm impressed! What a great way to get a soft, smooth grind. I haven't tried it yet, but if I wanted an even softer platten, I may try gluing two of these pads together. Scrap carpet padding is cheap (free) and readily available. I think I have enough padding for about 5 life times.
hit it outta da park...again! Lol!

.140" S30V with S2-32 Really hard felt:View attachment 78056

.140" S30V with F3 felt (same knife as above, different handle):
View attachment 78057

Tojiro ITK 240mm Kiritsuke gyuto complete reprofile/regrind, remove Kurouchi finish, shortened to 220mm blade length:
View attachment 78058

The S30V is fairly chunky, but went better thru taller cabbage than the Tojiro and does really well through other ingredients so far. The S2-32 hard felt didn't have as much convex and wedged a bit more and didn't cut as well as the thinned version. Tojiro is whisper thin and very light and sometimes just stopped in the cut with cabbage, but blows through other foods. One is more workhorse, other is more race horse!

WOW, that looks like a cutter for sure!! Shaving paper thin Tomato and Grape slices!!

Yeah, pretty happy with how they came out! I have some 3/32" Nitro V I am making 2, 210mm gyutos out of and some 1095 and 50100 in the same thickness to play with as well.

What adhesive are you guys using to attach the teflon sheet to the felt platen? Will spray adhesive hold up? I mean, that's a lot of force being put on that piece of teflon. I've tried using construction adhesive, but it's very thick and won't spread evenly and leaves waves underneath the teflon. Epoxy, maybe? Thanks

Still haven't built mine! Just finished my press. Gonna pick up some sheet metal for the table top of press and get some extra for the platen!

Back