File work on spine of knife. Before or after heat treat?

Delta Handmade Knives

I know at first it would seem logical to say "Of course you want to do this before heat treating!"

But I am worried that all that file work may give the blade a reason to warp during heat treat.

What are your thoughts on this? If you do file work, do you do it before or after heat treat?

Thanks folks!

Generally prior to heat treat is the answer. Filework will usually NOT cause a blade to warp in heat treat, unless you are not doing something else you should be.

That being said, you COULD TRY to do filework after heat treat, but that is just self inflicted pain that is totally unnecessary. ;)

Only reason I can think to do it after is a customer says, "Hey...I was wonderin'...." right after you heat treated his blade...lol.
OH!!! The worst words any knifemaker can hear! I learned long ago, when dealing with a client who keeps adding/subtracting things from the order.....just tell them up front that at XXXXX point (you choose when the point is) in the build, there are not more changes.

Last edited:
Wish I had read this a few years ago when I got the itch to experiment with jimping. Was really happy they weren't expensive files. Sage advice Ed. I hadn't considered/experienced a customer wanting changes after I started a knife. Thanks

Back